Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LOs and swimming?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 6 Replies

How is it that when babies/LOs are put under water, that they know how to hold their breath? I want my DD to learn how to do this, but I'm so scared she's going to choke and gag herself with water. She'll be 4 years old this summer. I think I have a bit of anxiety about it...

Birthday

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
In my opinion, at that age she is old enough to understand when you tell her "hold your breath". I would teach her first how to put her head under and blow bubbles. As long as she is blowing she can't breath in. Don't be worried, most kids do great at that age. My niece turns 6 today and is getting decent at swimming on her own, so your daughter isn't too far from being a pro.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Instinct. At least for very very young babies. I watched some documentary about babies and some of the things they just instinctually know is amazing. But they eventually lose it. But by now yours should be old enough to understand when you tell her to hold her breath, and if she does inhale a little bit of water (inevitable, any kid who has ever been in the water has done it) it'll just reinforce the breath-holding. Maybe try practicing holding her breath now? So when she does get to the water she already knows how to do it and how it feels.

Pink_Frog
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We live around a lot of water, so I had my son in a pool at 10mo.

Fill the tub up with some water and have her hold her breathe and put her face under water for a second or two. It will get her comfortable with it now and possibly she won't be afraid when she's in a bigger pool.

jessicaaris
by Jessica on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Gabriel is 6 and it still freaks me out!!! But by her age she would understand if you told her to hold her breath and then her insticts would kick in too.

robibuni
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yeah I heard around like, 10-12 months, they begin to lose their instinctual breath holding underwater.

My 4 year old LOVES to swim, and last year, we put her in swim lessons through our city's Parks and Rec program, and she LOVED it so much that we're putting her in it again this summer. YDD will be 15-18 months this summer so we're thinking about putting her in swim lessons too, but not sure yet. We may wait another summer.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I know water and kid's can be a scary combination. Have you looked into swim lessons?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)