Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is getting ridiculous

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:50 AM
  • 20 Replies

Our 15 month old son keeps getting up at crazy hours, this morning he got up at 6:30 no matter what I did to try to get him back to sleep, at least I thought it was 6:30, turns out it was 5:30 because somehow the alarm clock in my room was set an hour ahead. On top of all this, he's being a crabby ass because he didn't go to sleep until almost 10 last night.

I swear, the harder I try to get him on a good schedule, the worse things are getting. I tried to make excuses for him, he's sick, maybe he had a nightmare, but I'm ready to crack. I just want a good, UNINTERRUPTED, nights sleep and a baby who isn't CONSTANTLY cranky. I wasn't under this much stress since I cashiered at Wal-Mart!

Tonight my sister is taking him for us for the night, but now I'm worried that it will be the first and last time she will because his schedule is so screwed up. She has 2 kids of her own, a 1 year old and a 5 year old, she's perfectly capable of handling 1 more and I trust her completely or else I never would have asked. This is the first time I'll ever be spending the night away from him and I'm just worried it won't go well.

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM
My son is an early bird, too.
bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM

But he's not getting anywhere near enough sleep at night, he's cranky all day and throws temper tantrums.

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:58 AM
What is your evening routine like?

Quoting bad_mama2011:

But he's not getting anywhere near enough sleep at night, he's cranky all day and throws temper tantrums.

Quoting Megan11587:

bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

He eats dinner, he plays for a bit, then it's time for him to pick up his toys (I help of course) before his bath. He plays in the tub for a while, then I dry him off and put lotion on him before putting on his PJ's, we cuddle in the rocking chair for a little while, and I put him in his crib sleepy but still awake. Some times he cries when I walk away and it takes a few tries before he stays asleep.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM
That sounds like a good routine. Can you start it a little earlier every day? Maybe getting his bath 5mins earlier every couple days until you can get hin to sleep around 7 or 8? How does he do napping?

Quoting bad_mama2011:

He eats dinner, he plays for a bit, then it's time for him to pick up his toys (I help of course) before his bath. He plays in the tub for a while, then I dry him off and put lotion on him before putting on his PJ's, we cuddle in the rocking chair for a little while, and I put him in his crib sleepy but still awake. Some times he cries when I walk away and it takes a few tries before he stays asleep.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Some days he naps really well and others not so much, but usually he takes 1 half hour nap and 1 hour nap. If he doesn't get his second nap by 3 at the latest, that's when he won't go to bed on time. When I was working, my DH stayed home with him and he had NO routine, so I'm still trying to break 6 months of bad habits.

Quoting Megan11587:

That sounds like a good routine. Can you start it a little earlier every day? Maybe getting his bath 5mins earlier every couple days until you can get hin to sleep around 7 or 8? How does he do napping?

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Aw. I know it is tough. Stay firm and stick to the roitine. Make him nap. He may cry a bit and it will be hard, but if you stick to it it will work. Google sleep training techniques to give you some other ideas. Good luck!!

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Some days he naps really well and others not so much, but usually he takes 1 half hour nap and 1 hour nap. If he doesn't get his second nap by 3 at the latest, that's when he won't go to bed on time. When I was working, my DH stayed home with him and he had NO routine, so I'm still trying to break 6 months of bad habits.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Thanks, I got a book from the library called the no cry sleep solution for toddlers, it has some good ideas. It doesn't promise no tears, just less, and it has been helpful, I just need to find time to finish reading it! LOL

Quoting Megan11587:

Aw. I know it is tough. Stay firm and stick to the roitine. Make him nap. He may cry a bit and it will be hard, but if you stick to it it will work. Google sleep training techniques to give you some other ideas. Good luck!!

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Quoting Megan11587:

Salem2012
by Anais on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Mine does this sometimes not every night though :/ Maybe if he goes to bed a little later he'll sleep in longer? Mine goes to bed at 11 and is up at 9:30 usually.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

My son gets up at 5:30 every morning. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)