Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

At what age do you think it's acceptable to take away pacifiers?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 66 Replies

My oldest is 2 and I took hers away at 19 months.I know it seems cruel because they usually scream bloody murder after they realized its gone,but you have to do it(unless you want your 5 year old running around with a pacifier in their mouth lol)The reason I'm asking this is because my youngest is 6 months(will be 7 months on the 16th of May)and I'm not sure when to take hers away.I was planning on not giving her a pacifier at all....but it didn't work out.I want to take my 6 months old pacifier away a little earlier then 19 months.Any of you moms have any ideas?and what age was your little one when you took their pacifier away?or do they still have it?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crystal12345
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

BUMP!

Crystal12345
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

BUMP!

Emadele
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Extended use of pacifiers can lead to major dental issues down the road too. DS1 chewed on his more than anything and didn't find interest in it once he hit about 7 mos. he also sucked his thumb but gave that up on his own around 1yr. DS2 only has a paci in the car. He also just chews on it and is a thumb sucker. Honestly I think the paci should go away about the same time as the bottle, 1yr. And be severely restricted past 9 mos. but my opinion on the matter is a bit skewed since I've never has a paci addict. :) good luck.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
mommyto3121405
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

my son was a paci baby and he had it almost full time till 1 then only at bad till 15 months..i think anything after 1 should be taken away but sometimes there are reasons for them so i am not one to judge but i know someone who has a 3 year old who still uses one

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I actually don't believe in giving pacifiers routinely. So I'm all for not even having a need to take them away. I have 5 kids and have never given a pacifier...ever.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
In the absence of a breast to nurse from, i think that babies and young kids need some way to get oral comfort. If for some reason i couldn't nurse, i would probably allow a paci for a long as they need it.. But it's use would be limited to certain times/situations.
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter never had one (even when I relented and tried to give her one, she refused it). There's a certain age where dentists say pacifiers should be cut out, but I can't remember it now. It's less than two years, though. 

I'd wean your child off of it, instead of just taking it away though. Sucking is how babies cope and destress, and just one day taking it away and not giving it back will make them really stressed out and not know how to calm themselves how they're used to. Maybe only allow it at certain times, like when they get hurt or nap/bed time and then slowly take it away more and more over the course of a few weeks. 

Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

my dd only 4 months and she only takes her when she really tired and needs to suck on it to calm down. hopefully around six months she doesnt need it anymore. i give it to her b/c thumb sucking is gross and can mess up her teeth.

heres some sites that could help           www.confessionsofadrmom.com           www.parents.com

Nicholy10
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My older son has a sensory processing disorder, I took his pacifier away at 2 1/2 years. We told him a story about a paci fairy who comes in the night after he gathers up and leaves her his pacis to collect them. She takes them to needy babies around the world, and leaves cool big boy toys in return. He bought the story, never screamed or whined for the paci. He asked politely where it went occassionally for 2 weeks, but when reminded about the fairy, he'd say "Oh yeah!" it was no big deal for him, and he was super attached to his. I was very proud of him. 

My youngest, is less attached to his pacifier, rarely uses it. So I don't know that I'll have to take it away. He might just give it up. We'll see he's only 8 months old. 

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I limited use after 1 year, bedtime only after 18 months, they both gave it up of their own accord when they were 3.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN