Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

At what age do you think it's acceptable to take away pacifiers?

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest is 2 and I took hers away at 19 months.I know it seems cruel because they usually scream bloody murder after they realized its gone,but you have to do it(unless you want your 5 year old running around with a pacifier in their mouth lol)The reason I'm asking this is because my youngest is 6 months(will be 7 months on the 16th of May)and I'm not sure when to take hers away.I was planning on not giving her a pacifier at all....but it didn't work out.I want to take my 6 months old pacifier away a little earlier then 19 months.Any of you moms have any ideas?and what age was your little one when you took their pacifier away?or do they still have it?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (61-66):
Smilersam
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My first daughter had a pacifier, or dummie as we call them in the UK, & it was great for soothing her & helping to calm her down when she was upset but was not good for her teeth & ended up taking it off her which was a nightmare, but I took it away from her near Christmas time & told her that santa had taken it to give to another baby that needed it & this seemed to help & worked. My new daughter who is only 4 weeks old has not got a pacifier & seems fine without it. I think when they get to the age of 2+ it should be taken off them. baby girl

937mrsweaver
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

18 months nightime only IMO due to sids

HeatherMQ
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM

My first I took away at 16 months and it was a week of hell, then smooth sailing. My second, it was a few weeks before her second birthday and I was shocked I even let it go that far. But she was down to using it just at night (not even for her afternoon nap) for months at that point), so needless to say, she got over it quick. My 3rd is 11 months. He uses it when he sleeps and in the car. I thought about having him quit it by 12 months, but I am nursing him and he still wakes at night to nurse, so I am trying to get him to use that more and stop using me to sooth. So now I am stuck with not knowing when a good time will be. 

PI am just going to base it on his needs. If he is finding other ways to soothe, we will ditch it earlier, but I am not too worried about him using it to sleep, I also hate seeing older kids just walking around with paci's in their mouth. 

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

12-18 months...I don't let my kids have it any older than that. My first got rid of hers at 13 months, and my second didn't need his after 15 or 16 months. With my first I just tossed it in the trash and after a day she didn't even care...with my second he kept losing them so when he lost the last one I never bought a new one and after 2 days he forgot about them, it was no big deal, I never let my kids suck on the paci all day long, I only let them use it at bed or naptime. My third stopped using his when I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months for some reason... although he is a finger sucker...when he is tired or really bored he sucks his middle and ring finger on his left hand...I have pics of him doing this when he was born so he def did it in the womb...he is turning 2 in June...I am planning on breaking that habit b4 he turns 3, but it doesn't bug me right now since he doesn't do it all day long, just nap and bedtime.

mom371977
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
i took pacifiers away from my kids by age 2, i told them the next baby was gonna need the pacifier, and asked if they could save it for the next baby. needless to say it actually worked. no crying or screaming, no problems at all, when they asked for it i would remind them of the deal we made.then after a few time of asking and me reminding them it was forgotten.
mom371977
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN