Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Please help!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
My 3 week old DD constantly cries! It sounds like she is in pain. We thought it was just colic at first, but when it started being any time of day, sometimes all day that changed. Her dr started her on Zantac a weeks ago tomorrow. We thought it was acid reflux. She don't sleep. She even fusses and sometimes cries when nursing. The dr kinda seems to think that I should try her on soy formula. But I am afraid it won't help and I would rather breastfeed. But something has to help! It's very stressful especially on my 2 1/2 yr old DD. Any advice?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Reflex is way too overly diagnosed, especially in breastfed babies. The fact that your doc was quick to put her on meds and suggest formula, is a huge red flag that he has no knowledge in breastfeeding.
Do you have forceful letdown? Does baby ever gag, choke, sputter, or gulp milk while nursing? How does her poops look?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy26921
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
My little Guy cry s to when he is breastfeed
JANAPICK
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I thought of that too. But I have tried things to correct it. Even though I don't think it was that forceful. She only would gulp sometimes. Like in the morning. Poops are normal mustard color and seedy looking.
Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I didn't breastfeed but DS2 had acid reflux bad and switching to soy formula made a HUGE difference... maybe it's something you are eating that baby can't tolerate?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM
What have you tried?
Here's everything you need to know about forceful letdown and oversupply. Symptoms and how to deal with it.
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I would personally have baby diagnosed by an actual GI doctor before giving meds. There's no need whatsoever for formula unless you physically can't nurse. I'd suggest bringing her to a chiropractor too, something could be off with her body causing pain. And if she really does.have reflux, many many people are able to control reflux and avoid meds by doing chiro adjustments.

Quoting JANAPICK:

I thought of that too. But I have tried things to correct it. Even though I don't think it was that forceful. She only would gulp sometimes. Like in the morning. Poops are normal mustard color and seedy looking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I also suggest joining the Breastfeeding Moms group, you'll get much better information. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

You could try going dairy free, or just adjusting your diet all over. Do you have a super heavy letdown?

Salem2012
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I never bf so i dont know i would say try the Soy formula.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I agree with the let-down issue...all my kids at a young age couldn't tolerate my let down well, it caused gassiness and spit up and crying both after and while nursing, I nursed "uphill" so that gravity helped the flow not be so fast during let-down until about 3 months old.

seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Go to the health food store and get gripe water.  It is for colic.  This sounds like a bad case of colic.  Also see if you can drink chamamille tea.  So it passes through to the baby it is so relaxing and calming.  Good luck this to shall pass.  I had it and it will slowly get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN