Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried New Mom

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 55 Replies

Hi!

I am a 40 year old new mom.  I have waited a long time for my little bundle of joy.  I am worried about her because she hasn't had a "poopy" diaper since Saturday night.  Usually, I try primarily breastfeeding, but to get a poopy diaper instead of a bunch of wet diapers, I will give her a bottle of formula and it usually does the trick. Not so this weekend, or today, for that matter. She is not unusually fussy, other than her usual fussy time between 6-8 p.m. I have a call in to the pediatrician, but the nurse has not called back yet. What do ya'll do with this problem?

MacMom

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't give baby anymore formula. That can actually cause constipation. Breast milk is a natural laxitive. Breastfed babies can go a week or two without pooping and still be ok. Not pooping is ok, it's bad when they do poop and it looks like rabbit poop.

For every bottle of formula you give, you need to be pumping to keep up your supply.
macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I am not making enough, still, to give only breastmilk, no matter how much I have tried to pump and keep up with her. According to the charts, she is gaining what she needs, but I don't think she would have gained that much with just my breastmilk.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Quoting macmom72:

I am not making enough, still, to give only breastmilk, no matter how much I have tried to pump and keep up with her. According to the charts, she is gaining what she needs, but I don't think she would have gained that much with just my breastmilk.

Why do you think you aren't making enough milk for her?
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Wait to hear back from the pedi, but I believe wet diapers are more important at this point than poopy diapers. Is she wetting at least 6-8 diapers a day? I'm pretty sure it's the CONSISTENCY, not the FREQUENCY, of the poop that matters.

Also, how old is she?

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
How old is she? How many diapers does she go through each day? How often and how big of bottles does she get each day? When did you start giving formula?
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think is not how often they poop like my little one used to poop every other day (but he was older like 1 and early 2s), instead is about the consistency if shes constipated. Give her liquids, other than formula.

Love Always,

Angel

typing

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

what have you tried to increase supply other than pumping (pumping is not an indicator of what you actually make) and why did you start supplementing in the first place?  The more you supplement instead of nursing the worse the problem will get.  How old is she?

macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

She is 8 weeks old. The nurse just called back and told me to give her half an ounce of prune juice to half an ounce of water. I was waiting to hear that advice, because I was told by a well-meaning mom to give her nothing but breast milk or formula until the doctor tells me I can start her on solids, cereal, etc.

I have that mommy's milk tea, but I haven't tried it again in awhile. I was going to try going back to drinking that, but it tastes and smells so bad.

macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I was supplementing because I kept hearing about how moms have tons of breast milk in the fridge just waiting for their baby. I can barely get an ounce when I pump. I only have a single electric pump. I even have given her a bottle of formula when I wanted to feed her, just to wait for my breasts to feel really full. Even when they were feeling nearly engorged, I managed to get just barely two ounces. I gave it to her, and she was still acting so very hungry, so I let her feed from me some more. The next time I was very full, I let her feed straight from me and she still cried that hungry cry. I tried waiting a bit, and fed her some more. It wasn't until I gave two ounces or four ounces of formula that she finally seemed satisfied. I asked the doctor if she seemed like she was overfed, but she said no. Her weight it exactly on track where it should be.

macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Her poop is the color and consistency it should be. It is usually the bottle of formula that finally gets it going, but I can tell the breastmilk is in there because of what I call the "mommy milk seeds" in the diaper (those little bb like balls). Do you know what I am talking about when I say "seeds?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)