Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby name spelling dilemma

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 64 Replies
So, today I found out at my 20 week ultrasound that I'm having another girl :) ... So thrilled, the name my husband and I have picked is : Emily. The difference I'd rather spell it as: Emma-Leigh. What do you think moms?....
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I would pick the traditional spelling.  I really really REALLY dislike funky spellings of normal names. And Emma-Leigh is just....WAY too weird.  Sorry.

Peachy34500
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Would the Emma - Leigh be her whole first name or would Leigh be a middle name? The Emma Leigh is kinda long for a first name IMO.. I do think its cute tho
OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Do Emma as a first name and Leigh as a middle.
YOU don't have to live with it nor explain how it's spelled for the rest of your life, she does. 

Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Why would you go with the hyphenated? any specific reason? Maybe go with a variation like Amelie?

I also like Emilie. Otherwise, I personally opt to go with the usual spellings of names. But it's your choice:)
peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

My name is Emma.  I think if you put it as Emma-Leigh, people will think her name is Emma and her middle name is Leigh.  Maybe without the hyphen it will look more like one word.  As a matter of fact, my mom said when I was born my dad wanted the name Emma and my mom wanted Emily.  She suggested Leigh or Lee for the middle name and he said no-it will sound like Emily, my middle name is Jayne. If she is like me, she will not want her name mistaken.  I used to get upset if people called me Emily-I always corrected them and said it is Emma.  Not that I didnt  like the name Emily-but it wasnt my name! I think with the hyphen and capital for Leigh it will look like her middle name.  Just my opinion.

Beisekermom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM
If left hyphenated she will not have a middle name. My husband likes it as : first name Emma, middle name Leigh.
I found a website with a wide variation of spellings including Emaleigh, which is a candidate alteration on my version. I've never been so conflicted on baby names ha ha :)
angevil53
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Annoying.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Ha!! I just spit out my water...short, sweet and to the point! Lol

Quoting angevil53:

Annoying.
emilyelephant
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I'm biased. I prefer Emily. I played around with the spelling a ton in high school because I wished I had something more original, but never liked anything for more than a few weeks. I'm glad it's traditional because I hardly ever have to spell it for people, and I already have to spell my last name every time.

I like Emaleigh better than the hyphenated version.

twogirl91
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Your child will hate it if she has to explain to every single person how to spell her name. It's frustrating and annoying, not cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)