Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help my baby stop vomiting

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM
  • 13 Replies
DS just started transitioning into real solid food from the puréed stuff. Now, he is throwing up during the bottle that follows the food.

Background: He has always had a problem with reflux. His ped would not prescribe something for it, saying it could remove too much acid from his tummy. So we tried 4 diff formulas until we found something he could keep down.

Now the throwing up! It's not when he eats. It's after the following bottle. I wait 2-2.5 hours between meals and bottle. I have even tried waiting 3. But the thing is he eats less food than he did with the puréed ones. He wants to feed himself but hasn't mastered the coordination yet. (He's close though) So, needless to say, dinner usually ends because he gets mad at me for trying to help him and then refuses to eat more.

Anyone experience this? What worked? Please help me help him. I'm tired of seeing my baby throw up all the time.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twogirl91
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

How old? I didn't even start pureeds until my youngest son was 8.5 months old. He's 10.5 months and still barely gets any solids.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

The bottle needs to be before the food.  And I wouldn't wait that long between solids and bottle.  Solids are just for fun.  They can't eat enough of them to possibly gain much (if any) nutritional value from solids.  It's the formula he needs the most until 12 months of age, especially since he was such a preemie.  He needs all he can get.  Solids should be fed within 30 minutes of a bottle.

MABmommy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

He was a preemie. He will be 1 year in 2 weeks. He is 8 months adjusted. We only give him bananas, sweet potatoes and avocado. The sweet potatoes he ate tonight might as well have been pureed. I mashed them up pretty good. He just started transitioning on thursday so nothing big yet.

Quoting twogirl91:

How old? I didn't even start pureeds until my youngest son was 8.5 months old. He's 10.5 months and still barely gets any solids.

MABmommy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I tried that too with the liquid food. He would throw up even more. He has a hard time gaining weight and the dr said to give him higher calorie solids to help him. He already drinks 30-36 oz formula a day (not including the food) He is just so active that he just burns it off

Quoting jackiewal10:

The bottle needs to be before the food.  And I wouldn't wait that long between solids and bottle.  Solies are just for fun.  They can't eat enough of them to possibly gain much (if any) nutritional value from solids.  It's the formula he needs the most until 12 months of age, especially since he was such a preemie.  He needs all he can get.  Solids should be fed within 30 minutes of a bottle.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Oy!  Doctors annoy me.  Formula has a WAY higher calorie and fat count that any solid you're going to give him.  He would have to eat the WHOLE sweet potato to get what he needs.  Honestly, because of his history, if he's having an issue with the formula because of the solids, I would back away from the solids.  Just stick with the formula.  And if you have to add an extra bottle in there, then do it.  THAT is what he needs right now.

Quoting MABmommy:

I tried that too with the liquid food. He would throw up even more. He has a hard time gaining weight and the dr said to give him higher calorie solids to help him. He already drinks 30-36 oz formula a day (not including the food) He is just so active that he just burns it off

Quoting jackiewal10:

The bottle needs to be before the food.  And I wouldn't wait that long between solids and bottle.  Solies are just for fun.  They can't eat enough of them to possibly gain much (if any) nutritional value from solids.  It's the formula he needs the most until 12 months of age, especially since he was such a preemie.  He needs all he can get.  Solids should be fed within 30 minutes of a bottle.

twogirl91
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

My oldest son pretty much just ate purees until he was 18months old. He just didn't really get the chewing thing down until he had his molars and would swallow things whole and then choke. I would just hold off and stick with the purees until later when he can chew better.

Quoting MABmommy:

He was a preemie. He will be 1 year in 2 weeks. He is 8 months adjusted. We only give him bananas, sweet potatoes and avocado. The sweet potatoes he ate tonight might as well have been pureed. I mashed them up pretty good. He just started transitioning on thursday so nothing big yet.

Quoting twogirl91:

do11face
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

My daughter had reflux and did this, too.

After any kind of solid she would start to scream and then forcibly vomit it all up. She was about 7 months when we first tried solids.  It was terrible. The doctors did nothing to help. : / So, I just backed off giving to her for awhile and then tried later.
Anyway, at around 11 months she was finally able to eat solids. (pureed foods)

bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Hmmm...you've tried to do formula first, then solids, right? s it possible that he's sensitive to the foods you're giving him?
MABmommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I haven't given him any new foods. Everything he has eaten he had puréed too.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Hmmm...you've tried to do formula first, then solids, right? s it possible that he's sensitive to the foods you're giving him?
MMerrill
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

He might just not be ready, continue giving him formula and purees, then try again in a few weeks/months.  Is he on high cal formula?  That's what's going to help him gain weight.

And your doctor is right about reflux meds, they can do more harm then good.  My preemie had bad reflux and was never prescribed anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)