Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

convertible car seat***** update

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 60 Replies

im looking for a cheap but good convertible car seat for my dd. the car seat she has now only goes up to 22lbs and shes already 15lbs 14oz.

i found this one on www.walmart.com.

is this a good car seat or should i get a more costly one. i really don't have the money for one but ill find the money some how.

im thinking i will go with Myride 65 by Graco or SureRide by Evenflo. im  not to sure right now. does anyone use either of them?

**update

me, my mom, and my dds father talked and we are getting the Graco MyRide 65 LX in pink!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 2, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

A great seat on a budget is the Evenflo SureRide. You can find it at Target for $99.99, and it will last you for years. With the one you posted (the Evenflo Tribute), you will have to buy another seat at some point because it will NOT get your child to a safe boostering age. You'll save money in the long run.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Agree with pp. Pay close attention to weight and height limits when trying to decide.

The one we have is a Graco MySize 70. It was a bit pricey but it will last until 70 pounds so he can use it for many years to come.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM
For about 20-30 more you can get a much better seat that will last much longer both rear and forward facing andnot have to get a new seat in 1-2 years....you could get to 5-6 years old and then buy a booster seat then.
kss12
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Check out Burlington coat factory. The one I got was the safety 1st alpha omega elite. Ds loved it and it was on sale for $89. They have great stuff for cheap there!
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Evenflo SureRide or Safety 1st Guide 65. The Guide 65 is a little cheaper but the SureRide will most likely last longer. Same weight limit, but the SureRide is taller.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't waste my money on an alpha elite, it's a pain to install correctly in most vehicles because the lines on the side MUST be parallel to the ground, and they are NOT safe to be used as boosters.  They make ok rear facing seats if you can get a good install, but there are much better and cheaper seats on the market that will get you more useable time.

Quoting kss12:

Check out Burlington coat factory. The one I got was the safety 1st alpha omega elite. Ds loved it and it was on sale for $89. They have great stuff for cheap there!

kss12
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I took it to a car seat inspection and they teach you little tips and tricks on install. She said because of my sons height and weight that seat was a good choice. That's apparently one of the most popular carseats, she said some have to get another carseat at a certain time and others don't.

Quoting emkirkley:

I personally wouldn't waste my money on an alpha elite, it's a pain to install correctly in most vehicles because the lines on the side MUST be parallel to the ground, and they are NOT safe to be used as boosters.  They make ok rear facing seats if you can get a good install, but there are much better and cheaper seats on the market that will get you more useable time.

Quoting kss12:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I mean, if it's what you have it's what you have, but if she's looking to buy, it's NOT a highly recommended seat because it's hard to install, has rigid height limits and makes a horrible booster.  There are other seats in the same price range that are much better.

Quoting kss12:

I took it to a car seat inspection and they teach you little tips and tricks on install. She said because of my sons height and weight that seat was a good choice. That's apparently one of the most popular carseats, she said some have to get another carseat at a certain time and others don't.

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting kss12:

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I agree! It's a terrible seat. I would not put my kids in that seat. Never.

Quoting emkirkley:

I mean, if it's what you have it's what you have, but if she's looking to buy, it's NOT a highly recommended seat because it's hard to install, has rigid height limits and makes a horrible booster.  There are other seats in the same price range that are much better.

Quoting kss12:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting kss12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

When DD1 was 7 months, we bought her a Graco MyRide 65. At a month until 4, she got taken out of it and put into a harnessing booster and NOW DD2 (14 months) uses the MyRide :) We love it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)