Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Holding them Vs. Letting them explore safely

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:07 AM
  • 26 Replies

Ok So I have been really trying to figure this out and wanted to ask you lovely ladies what you think:

How Many of you believe in holding your child ALL the time or have someone in your family who is ALWAYS holding your child?

From day one I have only held my daughter when she needed it for example when I was nursing her or she just needed some mommy love but other then that she had tummy time, play with my feet time, scoot time and so on and so forth until now, where she is go go go. If I didn't I probably would have lost my mind and not been able to do anything.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM
5 moms liked this
I held my daughter almost all the time as a young infant. I enjoyed holding her and so did everyone else. Ofcourse we did tummy time and when she was more alert I would put her in her boppy and use toys and such to interact with her. *Only* holding her when absolutely needed just didn't feel right with me (alot of people told me not to hold her "too much"). Babies are meant to be held and snuggled as much as possible. She's 2 years old and has yet to suffer any negative effects from being held and loved as a baby. ;)
Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I'm trying not to hold ds so much but he's much more clingy than dd was. He doesn't like the swing. I got him a new bouncer yesterday. He will tolerate it in short spurts. Right now he's done nursing and gripping my bra asleep. He's a month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I actually held my son too much. Tho I did only hold him when he wanted something (aka nurse or mommy loving) but then if I had to do something if be like here hold him without thinking. But he would usually end up on the floor anyway. And now he's 1 and LOVES to explore :)
aarensmommy
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

i held dd much more then my boys...not becuase i didnt want to hold my boys they were just get up and go kids where as dd had some medical issues and is very content...dh says i held her too much as a baby. but at 14m she is happy and content playing alone for a period of time.

angela.bouchard
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I held my son as much as he needed. I encouraged him to play near me while I got housework done though.

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I put my son down a lot. He was our little "squirmy wormy" so he hated to be held as soon as he learned how to move at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM
When he was an infant I held ds all the time, now that he is older and mobile he is down walking around, exploring, and getting into absolutely everything. He is very independent
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I hold my baby almost 24/7. She is sleeping on my chest right now :)
She's 3 months old and breastfed on demand, bedhares with us at night and she is worn in a wrap or the Ergo for most of the day. I do lay her on the floor and play with her, but mostly she is just held.

It doesn't mean I don't get anything done LOL. Completely the opposite.

Ptitchou
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
If she wants to be held, she's held. If she wants to be held all day, she's worn. If she wants to explore, she's able to:) she's the boss. ;)
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm a mixture of both. And for me it also depends on the baby's personality. My first loved tummy time and always wanted down. But we still had snuggles and times where we just cuddled. :-) My third has been having gas/tummy troubles so he's been held/in the wrap a lot more. But I still always give some tummy time and we do play time on the floor a lot as well. I love to encourage safe exploration but I also love snuggle time. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)