Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Edit: Amber teething necklaces - hype, placebo effect, or couldn't live without it?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM
  • 34 Replies
Hey ladies! I'm sure this isn't the first post here about these, but I was wondering what your experience or input is on Baltic amber teething necklaces?

I've been doing some reading and the opinions vary widely from they're amazing to being a dramatic safety hazard, that they're nothing more than the placebo effect to "my baby was improved by the next day!"

What has your experience been?

Edit: I understand the wee babe has no idea that the necklace is supposed to be helping. :) the placebo effect refers to the theory that some exhausted, sleep-deprived, "desperate" parents can see an effect when there really isn't any - or they attribute a coincidental, temporary relief to the necklace that would have occurred anyway. But the same could be said for teething tablets, frozen washrags, and even Tylenol! Just another theory by doubtful doctors, and I trust experiences mommas much more than them!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM
They don't seem to make a difference for my 8 month old! It would be great if they did what they're claimed to do!
Ptitchou
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Not sure how it would be a placebo effect since baby doesn't know what it's supposed to do therefore unable to "think they're feeling better." :)
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM
3 moms liked this
I figured it was worth a shot. My son is 4 months and was starting to get really fussy with teething. It was like night and day! He changed back to his happy self immediately! Its been almost 2 weeks its still working great. He hasn't cut any yet tho.

So far I would say I swear by them. At least for my son.

He wears it all day on his neck an we wrap it around his ankle at night. It only comes off for bathtime.
amberlyp
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I didn't really think they worked until we lost hers about a month ago! Now I'm positive they work! My baby has an anklet, not a necklace. For some reason sticking something around her neck freaks me out. I am going to try to find it tomorrow :(
emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I have 4 frienda with them, 3 swear by them, one says it helps, but not nearly like our other friend claimed they would
kellysparkles
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I got one very inexpensive so I tried it and I was amazed at how well it actually worked.  

pochaccotx
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
where did you find it at?

Quoting kellysparkles:

I got one very inexpensive so I tried it and I was amazed at how well it actually worked.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I actually ordered it off Amazon and it was only $7 :D

Quoting pochaccotx:

Quoting kellysparkles:

pochaccotx
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Cool ill have to look into that

Quoting kellysparkles:

I actually ordered it off Amazon and it was only $7 :D

Quoting pochaccotx:

Quoting kellysparkles:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I can't tell you how much I love ours. It was like a light switch. She has 6 teeth that you can see trying to come through, but none have pooped out yet. She's been just a normal happy baby ever since we put it on. I left it off the other day to see if it was in my head and I felt like such a jerk in no time, back to fussy and crabby and all around miserable. LOVE this thing. Plus it looks really cute on her :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)