Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Be careful on Facebook

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 16 Replies
I just blocked a registered sex offender that was on my Facebook friends list. I only found out because a close friend of mine happened to be looking at my friends list searching for someone and she saw this person and told my partner. I went on the Megan's Law website and confirmed. This person had friended me a while back after I 'liked' a pic they posted of a friend of mine. I didn't see the harm in accepting the friend request, since it was a friend of a close friend and it was a FEMALE. She even sent me a couple of (at the time) seemingly harmless messages asking how my daughter was and how she was cute. Female sex offenders are rare but they're out there, and this one is a Tier 3, part of which means they are required to be registered for the rest of their lives. The offense was with someone less than 13 yrs old, and that's all I could find out on the ML website. I was sick to my stomach when I found out, imagining her seeing pics of my daughter and thinking or doing who knows what with them. I've been around enough to know that rehabilitation for this type of offense is rare. I'm usually very careful about who I friend and I must admit something like this didn't even cross my mind because it was a woman. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Scary! But this is the exact reason I only have real life friends on my Facebook. I won't even allow relatives I've only met once or twice. And also the reason I'll never add my own brother, though he's not registered and has never even been charged :/.
Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Ohh wow. That is why I'm only friends with real friends of mine on FB. For me it's only my close friends & family. Scary stuff. It always makes me wonder about women sex offenders. It's kind of weird for a woman to be a sex offender.

ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Why?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Ohh wow. That is why I'm only friends with real friends of mine on FB. For me it's only my close friends & family. Scary stuff. It always makes me wonder about women sex offenders. It's kind of weird for a woman to be a sex offender.

preacherskid
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

That is why my page is not only so private only friends can see it, and all the pictures I post are the same way- people I am not comfortable with seeing my girls won't see it, and my friends can't share those pictures either.  MIL thinks I am a little crazy for it, but it is one less way for our private pictures to get out there.

CafeMom Tickers
Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting ceckyl:

Why?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I guess it's just not as common as men being child sex offenders. I always think it's shocking when you hear about women & I just can't understand how they think. Women are more maternal then men.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Scary

ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Sadly it happens :(

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Quoting ceckyl:

Why?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I guess it's just not as common as men being child sex offenders. I always think it's shocking when you hear about women & I just can't understand how they think. Women are more maternal then men.

angela.bouchard
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Scary!

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Scary!

This is one of the many reasons my facebook is family and close friends only...

alandou
by April on May. 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I can't believe some of these sickos out there...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN