Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Question about the Pediatrician

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 20 Replies

Some of you may have seen my posts before, but I had my daughter last week at 36+5. She was only 4 lb 8 oz. When we left the hospital she was 4 lb 4 oz. I know its normal for them to lose a little. When we went to the pediatrician Monday she said she weighed the same and requested I come back in three days (today) for a weight check. What will they do if she lost weight? I'm paranoid because they almost hospitalized her for her temp not being high enough but we got it up before we left the office. Will she be hospitalized for not gaining weight? She was eating 1 oz every 3 hours but now she's getting down 1.5oz every 3 hours, and I'm pumping so she is getting breast milk. I'm just worried...

by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Well, my son was born at 36 weeks and was 4 lb 11 oz.  He was in the NICU for a week.  They weren't going to let him leave if he didn't gain any weight.

coffeemom37043
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Yeah she didn't go to NICU at all. She was with me the whole time and we left two days later

Quoting Megan11587:

Well, my son was born at 36 weeks and was 4 lb 11 oz.  He was in the NICU for a week.  They weren't going to let him leave if he didn't gain any weight.

Megan11587
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I'm not sure then.  I would call the pedi and see.  How frequently is she eating?  Does she seem to be eating a good amount.  I FF so I'm sure it was easier for me to tell how much my baby was getting compared to those that BF.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Yeah she didn't go to NICU at all. She was with me the whole time and we left two days later

Quoting Megan11587:

coffeemom37043
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

She is eating 1.5 oz every 3 hours. That's one thing I didn't like about BF, you couldn't see how much they're getting. That's why I started pumping

Quoting Megan11587:

I'm not sure then.  I would call the pedi and see.  How frequently is she eating?  Does she seem to be eating a good amount.  I FF so I'm sure it was easier for me to tell how much my baby was getting compared to those that BF.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

1.5 oz seems a little low to me.  I would call the pediatrician and check on that.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

She is eating 1.5 oz every 3 hours. That's one thing I didn't like about BF, you couldn't see how much they're getting. That's why I started pumping

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

coffeemom37043
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Well when I went in on Monday she was eating 1 oz every 3 hours and when I told her she said that's good for a baby her size, so I thought 1.5 was a step up lol

Quoting Megan11587:

1.5 oz seems a little low to me.  I would call the pediatrician and check on that.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Well, she's the pediatrician, not me! LOL.  If she isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Well when I went in on Monday she was eating 1 oz every 3 hours and when I told her she said that's good for a baby her size, so I thought 1.5 was a step up lol

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting Megan11587:

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

week one is all loss.  it's expected.  really shouldn't be checking for weight gain until 2weeks and at that point you want to see 4oz above lowest weight (taken on the same scale).

Will she latch?   nursing directly is better for a variety of reasons... she will be more effective at removing the fatter milk, and her saliva on your nipple actually tells your body to make higher calorie milk for her.  both of my preemies gained Like it was their job in the first several weeks.  nursing directly will help her to get exactly what she needs.

coffeemom37043
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

No =[ we are having trouble with latching..

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

week one is all loss.  it's expected.  really shouldn't be checking for weight gain until 2weeks and at that point you want to see 4oz above lowest weight (taken on the same scale).

Will she latch?   nursing directly is better for a variety of reasons... she will be more effective at removing the fatter milk, and her saliva on your nipple actually tells your body to make higher calorie milk for her.  both of my preemies gained Like it was their job in the first several weeks.  nursing directly will help her to get exactly what she needs.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

ask for an appt with an ibclc and keep working at it.  preemies take more time to learn, but it's very worth it to put in the work!  join breastfeeding moms on here, they can help.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

No =[ we are having trouble with latching..

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)