Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Can babies REALLY talk before a year?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 33 Replies

Well, say words and understand. I am aways hearing people say "My 5 month old can say Mama" or some other word.. Well, my little one does make a lot of "mamamama", "dadada", and different consonant sounds. But I have never thought of it as her calling me mom. Family will be like "Oh my! She is calling you momma already?!" I just kind of look at them, like "Really? Are you crazy?" 

SO, when did your little one say their first word? What was it?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think a lot of people get excited when their baby starts making those sounds. It's definitely not deliberate that early LOL

My 3 month old makes mama sounds, but I know she's not calling me that. Closer to 9-12 months? Absolutely!

KristenandCaleb
by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

hahaha I can relate. My 4 month old says byebyebyebye mamama dadada, but I know he's just blabbering and not understanding the true meaning of the word. Still cute nonetheless : P.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Before a year, yes.  At 5 months, it's highly doubtful, and maybe not even possible.  I think both my kids said either mama or dada with purpose before they were one.  Baby's make sounds and yes, some of them sound like words.  But actual talking is deliberate and an infant that young is not capable of that.  I agree that a lot of moms get a little too excited a little too early.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yea, I always say that we're called mama and Dada because they're two of the most common first babbles.... by 9-12 months they can know what they're saying, though.  My daughter very obviously means dada when she says it.. and also points to the cat and says cat, and her brother and says David (day-id).

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Babies do not use words to communicate at 5 months. My DD said "book" while practicing consonant sounds when she was about 6 or 7 months old, but she certainly wasn't actually meaning anything by it. Closer to a year, I'd believe that a baby was actually putting meaning behind  a word, since some babies can do some signing by that age.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I say yes because my 8 month will LOOK at me and say mamama or LOOK at DH and say dadada. He doesnt say it unless he is looking at one of us. If hes doing his giverish while playing its either yayayaya or lalala. So i say yes
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Yes. My second son said his first sentence at 10 months. He knew a dozen or so words by then too and knew exactly what they meant.

But at 5 months, I doubt it. Maybe 1 in a million (they say Helen Keller started talking at 6 months) but it isn't very common
abra
by Abra on May. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Some kids do. My first was saying whole 3 word sentences by the time she turned 1, but she was our first and excels in that sort of thing (but was behind in the physical milestones). My other daughter used Mom and Dad properly (as in my husband would walk in the door and she'd say "DAD!") by the time she turned 1, but both our boys struggle more with words. Liam says Dad and Yes. He is 13 months old. :-) 

All kids learn at different stages, but generally, the more the parents work with them, talking to them, teaching them, the earlier they will learn. 

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

abra
by Abra on May. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Did you see that study that linked HG babies to having higher IQs? I thought it was interesting. :-) 

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Yes. My second son said his first sentence at 10 months. He knew a dozen or so words by then too and knew exactly what they meant.

But at 5 months, I doubt it. Maybe 1 in a million (they say Helen Keller started talking at 6 months) but it isn't very common

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

Fightclmembr
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM
My oldest started talking at six months, his first word was dog. By a year old he was saying three word sentences. My middle is two and we're still waiting...my youngest is nine months and says a few words, I'd say she's on track for being "normal"...so I've had advanced, delayed, and normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)