Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should I be worried?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a 2 year old DD and a 7 month old DS. My DD barely talks!!! She babbles still. She will say I love you, I love you daddy, bye, hi, hi how are you, but it's all babbled and only DH and I can understand her. She turned 2 over a month ago and I'm really worrried that she is delayed with her speech.

Note: She has some behavioral issues that go way beyond terrible two's. She will headbutt anything and everything until she bleeds when she is upset, I can't stop her screaming. Ive tried spanking, time outs, corner, no movies, taking toys away etc but it's just making it worse! DH and I rarely argue and when we do our children are never around.

I have tried flash cards with DD, educational tv shows like Leap Frog to help her with her speech etc.. All she wants to do is eat the cards or tear them up. I read to her but she tears the book up as I'm trying to read. IDK WHAT TO DO!!!

by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Next time you go into to see your pedi, I would bring this up. She may need a lil speech therapy but at least you can look into how to get that ball rolling. Have you looked into ASL? It could be helpful for the both of you.

Heatherp23
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

No i haven't, I haven't even heard of ASL.  What is it? We just switched doctors for her today so I didn't want to bombared him with questions. We have another appointment on Tuesday so I will DEF be asking him

Quoting mommyhonu:

Next time you go into to see your pedi, I would bring this up. She may need a lil speech therapy but at least you can look into how to get that ball rolling. Have you looked into ASL? It could be helpful for the both of you.

harajukumoma
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Sign language I think she's referring to

Quoting Heatherp23:

No i haven't, I haven't even heard of ASL.  What is it? We just switched doctors for her today so I didn't want to bombared him with questions. We have another appointment on Tuesday so I will DEF be asking him

Quoting mommyhonu:

abra
by Abra on May. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Only DH and I can understand our 2 year old son. Just keep working with her. I doctor said it wasn't anything to be worried about yet. :-) 

newmomma1111
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I would def ask but it cOuld also be nothing my sister didn't really talk until she was3 and what she did say was in baby talk numnums (food) oosh ( drink) now she's in 8 almost 9 grade and is getting as and bs
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
ASL (American Sign Language) its a good thing to learn. She may need her tounge clipped and speach therapy.

Quoting Heatherp23:

Quoting mommyhonu:

LeilanisMom2012
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM

My friends son was the same way..he didnt talk til he was 3 1/2.  not to scare anyone but my cousin is autistic and did the same thing... beat himself.. not really talking and screamed all the time. Just ask to be safe!!

Heatherp23
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Well my DS (6) is autistic and I've noticed a lot of similarities between him and DD. Like she lines up all of her shoes and leaves them there, headbutts everything when she's mad and he didn't talk until he was a little over 3

Quoting LeilanisMom2012:

My friends son was the same way..he didnt talk til he was 3 1/2.  not to scare anyone but my cousin is autistic and did the same thing... beat himself.. not really talking and screamed all the time. Just ask to be safe!!

LeilanisMom2012
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I'd def. get her checked out to be safe.. my cousin was the same! but it could also be that she just dont wanna rush talking :) kids are like that.. we do everything for them so they feel they need to do anything.

mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

it's american sign language. you can look it up on youtube  to start with simple words, like more, mom, dad, milk, drink

Quoting Heatherp23:

Quoting mommyhonu:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)