Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you put a 6 month old to sleep?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 33 Replies

My baby boy is getting too big for his bouncer chair & his swing. He's used to those things to fall asleep in. I've been told to put him in his crib & just let him cry but it literally gets no where with him crying & screaming. I have no idea what to do. He loves his bouncer & all he wants is to sit, play, & sleep in his bouncer. He's pretty much already quite big for his bouncer. I've tried rocking him in my arms & that doesn't necessarily work at all. It's basically a hit or miss with me. Any ideas please?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't let him cry it out please!!! Is he swaddled at night?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

i think i must have gotten really lucky....i put my 5.5 month old to bed every night while he's still awake.  i nurse him until he's drowsy and then just lay him down.  he grunts for a few seconds while he stretches out and then he's asleep.    on the flip side, he wakes up at 2:00 am every single night and then spends the rest of the night cuddled up to the boob.

i don't practice CIO, but i would think he's too young to do this?  if you do, i wouldn't let him cry for more than a minute or two.

ShesALady
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Try doing a routine. Maybe change his diaper, put some lotion on and give him a little massage, then sing the same song or read the same book, feed him and rock him. At first it might be a struggle to get him used to the routine, but eventually he'll get the hang of it and get sleepy. My baby is 3 months and still needs to be nursed to sleep. I'm trying to get the routine going now so that it won't be such a struggle when I take out the nursing.
Misserica91
by New Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Ninjabubble:

Don't let him cry it out please!!! Is he swaddled at night?

Believe me I tried letting him cry it out for only 5 minutes to see where it'd get him & it's absolute misery. We've swaddled him but he always kicks out of being swaddled. He's not a fan.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I used to just lay him down when he was drowsy, but awake and turn his music box on and he would fall asleep in like 2 minutes with no fuss. That's how I put him to sleep from birth.
Misserica91
by New Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I usually try to let him play with his toys until he's ready to go to sleep & thats when I'd put him in his bouncer & bounce him to sleep. It's kinda my fault having him to used to his bouncer. When he was first born I was so attached to him & I let him sleep in his bouncer next to me in bed. It's still hard for me to part for him & put him in his crib. Anyways. Once he's asleep in his bouncer I do put him into his crib & he's fine until the very morning. I've tried reading him a story before bed but he gets really upset. Is that something he needs to get used to? I've been told that routine is what I need to start doing with him. Just a little hard to figure out what kind of routine to start with him.

Quoting ShesALady:

Try doing a routine. Maybe change his diaper, put some lotion on and give him a little massage, then sing the same song or read the same book, feed him and rock him. At first it might be a struggle to get him used to the routine, but eventually he'll get the hang of it and get sleepy. My baby is 3 months and still needs to be nursed to sleep. I'm trying to get the routine going now so that it won't be such a struggle when I take out the nursing.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I hold him and give him a bottle until he falls asleep.
k9l1c5
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I would establish a bedtime routine like bath right after dinner, new diaper and pajamas, play with toys - read a story whatever, bottle/breastfeed and then bed. Most nights my 9 month old goes right to sleep while drinking her bottle, sometimes I have to rock her and I sing to her while I rock her. Just keep rocking, it can take awhile to rock them to sleep. Cry it out is not going to help you at all, it teaches babies that their needs don't matter and they don't understand why they are being ignored.

ShesALady
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM
You don't have to read him a story if he doesn't like it. It's all about what works for you and baby. Maybe a bath? At first it won't be a routine because you're just starting it so he won't get sleepy, but if you keep it up eventually he'll catch on. Playing with toys won't really make him sleepy. Maybe when he's all done with toys start the routine. Whatever works for you.

Quoting Misserica91:

I usually try to let him play with his toys until he's ready to go to sleep & thats when I'd put him in his bouncer & bounce him to sleep. It's kinda my fault having him to used to his bouncer. When he was first born I was so attached to him & I let him sleep in his bouncer next to me in bed. It's still hard for me to part for him & put him in his crib. Anyways. Once he's asleep in his bouncer I do put him into his crib & he's fine until the very morning. I've tried reading him a story before bed but he gets really upset. Is that something he needs to get used to? I've been told that routine is what I need to start doing with him. Just a little hard to figure out what kind of routine to start with him.

Quoting ShesALady:

Beautifulmom513
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I not sure. my son was so easy. all I had to do was give him a bottle, and he would pass out immediately. my daughter is a little different. she 5 1/2 months old. during the day, she still takes naps in her swing. occasionally she will fall asleep in her jumperoo. at night time she really easy. all we have to do is lay her down with a pacifier and she will go right to sleep. both of my kids were super easy so I have no idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)