Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
A friend was over yesterday and my ds is very clingy, especially when there are new people in the house that he's not used to. He's 14 months and she said when her ds was that age she'd put him in time out. That's the first I've ever heard a 14 month old being in time out. Thoughts??
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
kss12
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Thank god he hasn't hit that stage yet!

Quoting sahmw2010:

I said remove him from the situation. take him to another room away from the toys hes throwing or person he is hitting for an amount of time after u have told him that is not nice behavior. I dont expect a 14 month old to stand in a corner or sit in a chair. But they can still be in a "time out" by simply being put in another room for a length of time. At 14 months i would say 1 minute, 24 months 2 minutes and so on

Quoting kss12:

At 14 months? He can barely sit still on our lap. I've just never thought about time out for him

Quoting sahmw2010:

Being whinny/clingy is NOT a reason for a time out. Yea if he kept constantly hitting or throwing toys after repeatedly talking to them about why its not nice, then yes removing them for a period of tine sure. 1 min per year is what i do.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Mine hit it at 3 yrs. skipped terrible 2s. Lol

Quoting kss12:

Quoting sahmw2010:

I said remove him from the situation. take him to another room away from the toys hes throwing or person he is hitting for an amount of time after u have told him that is not nice behavior. I dont expect a 14 month old to stand in a corner or sit in a chair. But they can still be in a "time out" by simply being put in another room for a length of time. At 14 months i would say 1 minute, 24 months 2 minutes and so on

Quoting kss12:

At 14 months? He can barely sit still on our lap. I've just never thought about time out for him

Quoting sahmw2010:

Being whinny/clingy is NOT a reason for a time out. Yea if he kept constantly hitting or throwing toys after repeatedly talking to them about why its not nice, then yes removing them for a period of tine sure. 1 min per year is what i do.

kss12
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
If that happens for us then even better! By 3 they understand time out lol!

Quoting sahmw2010:

Mine hit it at 3 yrs. skipped terrible 2s. Lol

Quoting kss12:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting kss12:

Quoting sahmw2010:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
That's neglect. I HAD a "friend" who did that when her and her son came to visit for the FIRST time. He wanted his mom but she made him sit on the couch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymummum
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

i would never do a time out for being clingy as my son is now shy of people and he holds on to me for dear life , i only do time outs when he does something he shouldn't, i get him to sit down and i count to 10 and always let him say 10 lol.

storkradio193
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I wouldn't use time out for being clingy especially at such a young age.  

(I wouldn't call it "negect" though, negect is a term with legal meanings that can get your kid taken away.)

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

emilyelephant
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My friend put her 15 month old in time out when he hit my 8 month old. He sat, but the tv was on and he was eating a banana so...not sure how well it actually works.

Seems like it would be best to establish consequences and consistency early on, I guess

cabrandy03
by Brandy on May. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That is ridiculous.  Being clingy is not a reason to punish a child, especially a child that young.  I feel sorry for her son.  We didn't start timeouts until after dd's second birthday and then only for when she's really misbehaving and only for 2 minutes at at time.  I would never punish a child for being clingy.  SMH

Quoting kss12:

Yeah. My ds was kind of whining if I wasn't holding him, so she said to put him in time out because that's what she did with her ds

Quoting Ninjabubble:

She put him in time out for being clingy? Is that what Im reading? It's early so my brain isn't quite working yet!

Zazayam
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I've never had a problem with a "clingy" baby... Definitely doesn't seem like a punishable crime to me.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I never did time out that young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN