Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supplementing BM with cow's milk??? Updated

Posted by   + Show Post

A little background before the question.... My son is 9 1/2 months old and I have EBF him. I only work on weekend mornings and am home around 12pm. I pump everyday to have a supply for the weekend and my boyfriend feeds him with a bottle. He will not drink formula, we have tried once or twice when my supply was a little low but that was months ago. He does eat three solid meals a day and will drink water from a sippy cup. I have only been able to pump once a day to get an adequate amount, usually if I try a second time I barely get half an ounce.

I usually can only pump enough to just get him through until I get home but I'm worried about this Sunday (Mother's Day). I am a prep cook/baker in a restaurant and Mother's Day is our busiest day of the year and I will be working longer than usual, probably until 3 or 4pm. I am wondering if we can add a litte whole cow's milk to each of his bottles to help extend the supply that I have pumped all week. Just to make this clear,I AM NOT TRYING TO WEAN HIM!!! I plan to BF until his first birthday. Should we try to add to the BM or should we just have him drink what I have pumped and give him an extra cup of water to help him get by until I get home??? I worry about giving him to much water in a day because I have read that to much water is not good for a baby. He usually has about 5ounces of water a day in a sippy cup. Any suggestions would be helpful.....

Thanks in advance!!!

UPDATE: Thank you all for the advice, it is very helpful! I have decided to not give him cow's milk now. I am just going to have his dad give him en extra solids meal/snack and give him his sippy cup of water later in the day. Then when I get home I will just nurse him extra! I would consider the goats milk or coconut milk but I have never seen it in stores around me.

by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Also check Kellymom.com about bottle feeding a breastfed baby.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
http://www.aacr.org/home/public--media/aacr-press-releases.aspx?d=2898

Quoting sahmw2010:

Im sorry, cancer in a bottle? Huh?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I started working a ten hour shift every Saturday when DS was 8 months. That day he ate solids only and I didn't pump for him.

He is thirteen months and still nursing like a newborn except Saturdays when he only eats solids. I work from 4 pm until 2 am.

He also never had a bottle. He reversed cycle Saturdays which is perfect.

I would never try to encourage my son to drink formula! It is like cancer in a bottle. Just up his water and solid intake while at work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Ive never heard of it being called that, and i cant get the link to work. I havent been able to BF due to medical issues so i bottle feed. Wasnt until a week or so i found out bout those serrogate breast milk ummm... Whats it called?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I started working a ten hour shift every Saturday when DS was 8 months. That day he ate solids only and I didn't pump for him.

He is thirteen months and still nursing like a newborn except Saturdays when he only eats solids. I work from 4 pm until 2 am.

I would never try to encourage my son to drink formula! It is like cancer in a bottle. Just up his water and solid intake while at work.
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Donor milk?
You can find some on Facebook there is eats on feets and another that i can't remember right now.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Ive never heard of it being called that, and i cant get the link to work. I havent been able to BF due to medical issues so i bottle feed. Wasnt until a week or so i found out bout those serrogate breast milk ummm... Whats it called?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I would do formula before I do cow's milk.  Infants can't digest cow's milk.  It can really hurt their tummies.  Even moreso than formula does.  I would pump for 10 minutes after every feeding.  Even if you only get a half an ounce each time, you might be able to get enough to tide him over for the time you're working on Sunday.  Also, you could feed extra solids on just that day and nurse nurse nurse like crazy when you get home.  He's old enough to have one day like that here and there.

ETA:  Pump first thing in the morning also.  You're supply is at it's highest at that time of day.  Can you pump one side while he nurses on the other?  That will really help get more milk.

Owensmom1288
by Melissa on May. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That is how I pump now, with him nursing on one side and I pump on the other side. I think I am just going to have his dad feed him extra solids and nurse him extra when I get home. He will not take formula and I don't really want to give him formula.

Quoting jackiewal10:

I would do formula before I do cow's milk.  Infants can't digest cow's milk.  It can really hurt their tummies.  Even moreso than formula does.  I would pump for 10 minutes after every feeding.  Even if you only get a half an ounce each time, you might be able to get enough to tide him over for the time you're working on Sunday.  Also, you could feed extra solids on just that day and nurse nurse nurse like crazy when you get home.  He's old enough to have one day like that here and there.

ETA:  Pump first thing in the morning also.  You're supply is at it's highest at that time of day.  Can you pump one side while he nurses on the other?  That will really help get more milk.

Owensmom1288
by Melissa on May. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone! I think after reading everyone's responses I am not going to give him the cow's milk and will just have his dad give him extra solids and an extra cup of water, then nurse him extra when I get home. I think since it is only one day he will be alright. I really don't want to give him formula and he doesn't like it, won't even drink it! Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Owensmom1288
by Melissa on May. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I completely forgot about that group!

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Please take this question to the breastfeeding group. They are awesome & will help you :) A breastfed baby only needs 1oz per hour that your away from him. In between the bm bottles I would just give him water & purees. When you get home he will nurse like crazy to make up. No cows milk.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
No cows milk. He should only get 1oz per hour you're away and he shouldn't be fed right before you get home so he can nurse right afine
Water and solids should hold him over fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whitney15
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

goat's milk is milk from a goat!! Lol. They don't have it at walmart or anything like that. I used to buy it from the health food store, but then I found a woman who has a farm and milks her goats and sells it. It's cheaper, and more fresh. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

Ummm what/where is goats milk? Is it something u can pick up at the store?

Quoting Whitney15:

Cow's milk isn't even the best milk for kids above 1. It has been linked to iron deficiency. I supplemented with goat's milk, and now that my daughter is completely weaned, she is drinking goat's milk at meals. So is my 5 year old, and so are we. It actually tastes the same lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)