Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Supplementing BM with cow's milk??? Updated

Posted by   + Show Post

A little background before the question.... My son is 9 1/2 months old and I have EBF him. I only work on weekend mornings and am home around 12pm. I pump everyday to have a supply for the weekend and my boyfriend feeds him with a bottle. He will not drink formula, we have tried once or twice when my supply was a little low but that was months ago. He does eat three solid meals a day and will drink water from a sippy cup. I have only been able to pump once a day to get an adequate amount, usually if I try a second time I barely get half an ounce.

I usually can only pump enough to just get him through until I get home but I'm worried about this Sunday (Mother's Day). I am a prep cook/baker in a restaurant and Mother's Day is our busiest day of the year and I will be working longer than usual, probably until 3 or 4pm. I am wondering if we can add a litte whole cow's milk to each of his bottles to help extend the supply that I have pumped all week. Just to make this clear,I AM NOT TRYING TO WEAN HIM!!! I plan to BF until his first birthday. Should we try to add to the BM or should we just have him drink what I have pumped and give him an extra cup of water to help him get by until I get home??? I worry about giving him to much water in a day because I have read that to much water is not good for a baby. He usually has about 5ounces of water a day in a sippy cup. Any suggestions would be helpful.....

Thanks in advance!!!

UPDATE: Thank you all for the advice, it is very helpful! I have decided to not give him cow's milk now. I am just going to have his dad give him en extra solids meal/snack and give him his sippy cup of water later in the day. Then when I get home I will just nurse him extra! I would consider the goats milk or coconut milk but I have never seen it in stores around me.

by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

This!

Quoting jjchick75:

At that age send what you have pumped and the rest water and solid food and he'll make up for it when he gets home. This is called reverse cycling. I would NOT give cows milk at this age. 

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Quoting Owensmom1288:

Thanks for the suggestion, I completely forgot about that group!

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Please take this question to the breastfeeding group. They are awesome & will help you :) A breastfed baby only needs 1oz per hour that your away from him. In between the bm bottles I would just give him water & purees. When you get home he will nurse like crazy to make up. No cows milk.

Seriously that group is amazing. I'm a first time mom & they helped me so much with breastfeeding. I'm now going on 8 1/2 months & my baby has never had a drop of formula. I owe a lot of my success to the women in that group. There are a few lactation consultants in there too :)

CafeMom Tickers
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

This

Or ask in the breastfeeding group : )

Quoting Randi02:

This!

Quoting jjchick75:

At that age send what you have pumped and the rest water and solid food and he'll make up for it when he gets home. This is called reverse cycling. I would NOT give cows milk at this age. 

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Formula increases the chance of childhood leukemia. That is what she is referring to there.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Im sorry, cancer in a bottle? Huh?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I started working a ten hour shift every Saturday when DS was 8 months. That day he ate solids only and I didn't pump for him.

He is thirteen months and still nursing like a newborn except Saturdays when he only eats solids. I work from 4 pm until 2 am.

He also never had a bottle. He reversed cycle Saturdays which is perfect.

I would never try to encourage my son to drink formula! It is like cancer in a bottle. Just up his water and solid intake while at work.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I have never heard of that. All 3 of my kids were-are bottle fed due to medical reasons, and they are fine. I didnt know about donor milk until a couple weeks ago and my baby is 9 months now

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Formula increases the chance of childhood leukemia. That is what she is referring to there.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I started working a ten hour shift every Saturday when DS was 8 months. That day he ate solids only and I didn't pump for him.

He is thirteen months and still nursing like a newborn except Saturdays when he only eats solids. I work from 4 pm until 2 am.

I would never try to encourage my son to drink formula! It is like cancer in a bottle. Just up his water and solid intake while at work.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Yup, one of the many risks. I have to supplement and bottle feed too, also due to medical problems, and I did a lot of research on formula. I use donor milk as much as I can but it can be hard to come by :/

Quoting sahmw2010:

I have never heard of that. All 3 of my kids were-are bottle fed due to medical reasons, and they are fine. I didnt know about donor milk until a couple weeks ago and my baby is 9 months now

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Not breastfeeding increases the risk for several illnesses and diseases for both mother and baby. Leukemia and other cancers are among that list.

Source

Childhood Cancer

Several studies have examined associations between formula feeding and childhood leukemia based on the hypothesis that immunoreactive factors in breast milk may prevent viral infections implicated in the leukemia pathogenesis.47 Two meta-analyses1,48 found a 1.3-fold higher risk of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (95% CI, 1.1–1.4) among formula-fed children compared with children who were breastfed less than 6 months. Kwan and colleagues48 also found a 1.2-fold higher risk of acute myeloid leukemia (95% CI, 1.0–1.4) among formula-fed infants compared with infants breastfed more than 6 months.

Quoting sahmw2010:

DragonMother10
by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Here we go, there are always mothers who breastfeed who will make someone who forumla feeds feel like horrible mothers. I exclusively breastfeed along with cow's milk for my 13 month old. I as a mother who nurse, don't bash anyone who forumla feeds. One of the main reasons why I left the Breastfeeding group, too many women on their high horses.
Owensmom1288
by Melissa on May. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how and when did you switch your little one to cow's milk? That is what I am planning on doing after his first birthday but since this is my first I am not sure of how or when to do it.

I hope you don't think I am bashing anyone that formula feeds. I have nothing against any mother that uses formula. If I came across that way I am sorry, I didn't mean anything against formula. It is just what I choose to do by not using formula, and I have tried it with my son but he does not like it at all.

Quoting DragonMother10:

Here we go, there are always mothers who breastfeed who will make someone who forumla feeds feel like horrible mothers. I exclusively breastfeed along with cow's milk for my 13 month old. I as a mother who nurse, don't bash anyone who forumla feeds. One of the main reasons why I left the Breastfeeding group, too many women on their high horses.

DragonMother10
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I don't think you are bashing. Anyway, we gave my son a some towards the end of 11 months to get familiar with the taste. Now at 13 months he is drinking quite a bit.

Quoting Owensmom1288:

If you don't mind me asking, how and when did you switch your little one to cow's milk? That is what I am planning on doing after his first birthday but since this is my first I am not sure of how or when to do it.

I hope you don't think I am bashing anyone that formula feeds. I have nothing against any mother that uses formula. If I came across that way I am sorry, I didn't mean anything against formula. It is just what I choose to do by not using formula, and I have tried it with my son but he does not like it at all.

Quoting DragonMother10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)