Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Supplementing BM with cow's milk??? Updated

Posted by   + Show Post

A little background before the question.... My son is 9 1/2 months old and I have EBF him. I only work on weekend mornings and am home around 12pm. I pump everyday to have a supply for the weekend and my boyfriend feeds him with a bottle. He will not drink formula, we have tried once or twice when my supply was a little low but that was months ago. He does eat three solid meals a day and will drink water from a sippy cup. I have only been able to pump once a day to get an adequate amount, usually if I try a second time I barely get half an ounce.

I usually can only pump enough to just get him through until I get home but I'm worried about this Sunday (Mother's Day). I am a prep cook/baker in a restaurant and Mother's Day is our busiest day of the year and I will be working longer than usual, probably until 3 or 4pm. I am wondering if we can add a litte whole cow's milk to each of his bottles to help extend the supply that I have pumped all week. Just to make this clear,I AM NOT TRYING TO WEAN HIM!!! I plan to BF until his first birthday. Should we try to add to the BM or should we just have him drink what I have pumped and give him an extra cup of water to help him get by until I get home??? I worry about giving him to much water in a day because I have read that to much water is not good for a baby. He usually has about 5ounces of water a day in a sippy cup. Any suggestions would be helpful.....

Thanks in advance!!!

UPDATE: Thank you all for the advice, it is very helpful! I have decided to not give him cow's milk now. I am just going to have his dad give him en extra solids meal/snack and give him his sippy cup of water later in the day. Then when I get home I will just nurse him extra! I would consider the goats milk or coconut milk but I have never seen it in stores around me.

by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (31-34):
Adams_Rib
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I started giving my DS cows milk when he was 9 months old. He's 6 now. I personally just felt better giving him something natural (we have a dairy so it was raw milk) rather than Giving him something artificial.  He's the only one out of my 4 boys that wanted to wean early. I have no regrets giving it to him.

Diane1223
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Really! Kind of extreme to say cancer in a bottle..lol

Quoting sahmw2010:

Im sorry, cancer in a bottle? Huh?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I started working a ten hour shift every Saturday when DS was 8 months. That day he ate solids only and I didn't pump for him.

He is thirteen months and still nursing like a newborn except Saturdays when he only eats solids. I work from 4 pm until 2 am.

He also never had a bottle. He reversed cycle Saturdays which is perfect.

I would never try to encourage my son to drink formula! It is like cancer in a bottle. Just up his water and solid intake while at work.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yea i just ignore them. IF i could breastfeed I would, but i cant. And a lot if mothers who can breast feed think that i dont want to. And say if I wanted to i would have found a way. I have learned to ignore them

Quoting DragonMother10:

Here we go, there are always mothers who breastfeed who will make someone who forumla feeds feel like horrible mothers. I exclusively breastfeed along with cow's milk for my 13 month old. I as a mother who nurse, don't bash anyone who forumla feeds. One of the main reasons why I left the Breastfeeding group, too many women on their high horses.
DragonMother10
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't work out for everyone and it doesn't make you less of a mother.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Yea i just ignore them. IF i could breastfeed I would, but i cant. And a lot if mothers who can breast feed think that i dont want to. And say if I wanted to i would have found a way. I have learned to ignore them

Quoting DragonMother10:

Here we go, there are always mothers who breastfeed who will make someone who forumla feeds feel like horrible mothers. I exclusively breastfeed along with cow's milk for my 13 month old. I as a mother who nurse, don't bash anyone who forumla feeds. One of the main reasons why I left the Breastfeeding group, too many women on their high horses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)