Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

potty training tips please

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

ok so im a first time mom to a little boy i was wondering when do u start to potty trainig an what r the first steps to train a boy to use the potty

by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Start when he gives you signs like pooping at the same time daily, interest in the potty, not wanting to be wet or soiled, having a dry diaper a couple hours at a time, motor skills like climbing, removing clothes. Age is different for every tot.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

HE will "tell" you when he's ready.  The average age for boys to potty train is 39 months and most are not ready to even try before about 2.5 years old (again, all averages).  When it does come time, the best way to do it is JUST DO IT.  Underwear, not pull ups, from day one.  Expect accidents but don't get mad about them.  When he starts getting to the age where he understands concepts, start letting him flush his poop down the toilet so he knows that's where it's supposed to go, instead of in his diaper.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I start when my children show signs they are ready.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Wait. I have potty trained two boys and they HAVE to be ready. My oldest has kidney disease so it took him longer and he has the occasional accident during the day because he gets distracted. My 4 year old was fully day/night trained by 4 years 1 month.

Boys take longer to gain control. We started underwear full time during the day and my second stayed dry during the day in a week. I knew my son was ready for underwear at night when he stayed dry 5 nights in a row.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on May. 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I usually wait until they are 3 (I've trained 2 girls, and my sons are only 2 and 1 so no experience with boys yet), because it is WAY easier to just wait until they are ready. With my girls it took a couple days. 

Deee6
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I am an old grandma (49) now but when I potty trained my son, he was 2 years old. We let him watch his dad and sat him backwards, like riding a horse.. When he tried standing up I would put Cheerios in the toilet and they would sink when he hit them when peeing. . Worked great and did not take any time really. Good days and bad days of course. 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Wait until he's ready. Trying to make it happen because you're ready really sucks.
With my daughter I thought it was a mom lead thing and did it at 18 months. It took forever, it was my least favorite part of parenting, and I dreaded ever doing it again.
With my sons, I waited until they were ready, which happened right around their second birthdays. Easiest thing ever, there was really no effort involved on my part, they just did it. Older son literally never even had one accident day or overnight, and younger son only had 2 accidents before getting it mastered.

All I did for my boys was let them run around naked and show them the potty chair. When they said they needed to, we went and I had them sit down to try. If they went, I clapped & praised them if they didn't go I said good try. Nothing fancy or complicated :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Awww, ds has the same outfit. Hes gonna be 2 may 14th and still is not using the potty.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I do it before two. I take away diapers and that's the end of it.
IMO, unless the child has delays it shouldn't take more than a day or two and I will never understand a child over two in diapers.
Have you heard of the three day method?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom200992
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

yea my hubbys nephew was 2 an standing up no diapers at all after that  i never heard of the 3 day method what is that i still got a lil way to go my son will b 1 on the 29th  but good to know ahead lol he always goes in the bathroom with daddy an watches him go to the bathroom im thinking he will b easy  lol ihope

Quoting Randi02:

I do it before two. I take away diapers and that's the end of it.
IMO, unless the child has delays it shouldn't take more than a day or two and I will never understand a child over two in diapers.
Have you heard of the three day method?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)