Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Embryo Donation and Adoption?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 16 Replies
Anyone ever hear of this? Has anyone done it? Any stories out there? This seems like another great option for families who either can't conceive a child of their own or who want to adopt a child. What are your thoughts?
http://www.embryoadoption.org/ here's the website incase you're interestead in looking into it.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
To_the_moon
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

BUMP!

abra
by Abra on May. 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Personally, I think it is better to adopt. This method seems kinda selfish to me when there are so many kids born every year who already really, really need a loving family to join. 

To_the_moon
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Quoting abra:

Personally, I think it is better to adopt. This method seems kinda selfish to me when there are so many kids born every year who already really, really need a loving family to join. 

I understand your view but adoption is so expensive, it could take a very long time for a family to be able to adopt a child and there's been times where adoptions have fallen through which is heartbreaking for not only the adoptive parents but to the child. I'm not saying normal adoption is a bad thing at all, my husband and I are looking to adopt a child someday when we can afford to. But the embryo adoption is faster, cheaper, and it gives that adoptive mom the chance to experience pregnancy. But as I said I totally understand where you're coming from.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I've heard of it, but it's nothing I'd ever do for many reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on May. 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Adoption is affordable depending on how you do it. Homegrown babies can be really expensive, too (my 2nd DD's pregnancy and birth was over 50K due to complications). Being a parent is about sacrifice. Why not start now?

Quoting To_the_moon:

Quoting abra:

I understand your view but adoption is so expensive, it could take a very long time for a family to be able to adopt a child and there's been times where adoptions have fallen through which is heartbreaking for not only the adoptive parents but to the child. I'm not saying normal adoption is a bad thing at all, my husband and I are looking to adopt a child someday when we can afford to. But the embryo adoption is faster, cheaper, and it gives that adoptive mom the chance to experience pregnancy. But as I said I totally understand where you're coming from.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

angela.bouchard
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I haven't looked into it at all. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that, but I am registered as an egg donor already.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I have heard of it and like the idea. It means that those precious little babies have a chance to be born and I am all in favor of that!
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I've heard of it, but it's not something I could do.

onethentwins
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I would be in favor of it IF the donations were not anonymous. 

Children born of embryo adoption are still going to get their traits, looks, talents, heritage from their DNA. They need to know where all that comes from. They also need to know who and where their genetic siblings are so they don't accidentally have a relationship with them.

Parents who use embryo adoption need to be taught that just because they gave birth to their children there's still going to be a difference and not to expect these children will grow up to be just like them. For example, If the parents have Phds, their kids could still have really low IQs and be C students. The Phd parents should not be disappointed and encourage their own genetic talents.

If these things happen, then I'm all for it. If the parents pretend that they concieved these kids naturally and don't tell their kids, then I'm out!

jenniferNjohn
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am an adoptive mom and Im so afraid to go thru that adoption process again. I love my baby boy but im looking into embryo donation myself. Id love to experience the feeling of being pregnant and going thru all that and know that the baby im carrying is mine and I don't have to worry about a change of mind or being scammed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN