Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What would I actually do if she choked on something??

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have been so stressed because no matter how much I search my 8 month old is always finding something dangerous to put in her mouth. Already this week I have pulled a wood chip, a sticker, and a mothball out of her mouth. I didn't even see these things on my hands and knees! What would I do if she actually did swallow somehing and I didn't catch her in time??

Any links or recommendations?? There is a waiting list for CPR classes..

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicole_2007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html

Nicole_2007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kvNqoCb68

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Here is a video clip from the show "The Dr.s" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HZ8Ypbb-E

I was CPR and first aid certified before I ever had kids (my parent's thought this was neccessary for babysitting) so I already felt prepared when my own babies were born. 

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If she did choke you would turn in to super mom and get it out without even thinking about it. My DD choked on a apple a few months back, I never had any CPR or first aid training, I had no idea what I was doing but before I even thought about it she was in my arms turned so she was looking at the floor and i was hitting her on the back and the apple came flying out. It was the most scary 60 seconds of my life. 

SweetEvangeline
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Thanks SO much!!

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

Here is a video clip from the show "The Dr.s" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HZ8Ypbb-E

I was CPR and first aid certified before I ever had kids (my parent's thought this was neccessary for babysitting) so I already felt prepared when my own babies were born. 

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
It'll come to you, God forbid.

Some advice for you though. Never stick your finger in their mouth unless you can see the object and know you can get it out. Otherwise you pose the risk of pushing it deeper In.

If they can cough, talk etc. , they can breath. Patting their back may help. If you can, flipping them over (I've had to flip over my arm) and hit/pat them on the back.

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This, lol. You'd be amazed at the stuff instinct will get done. I've had a couple scares and it's beyond terrifying but you just handle it. First one, my oldest had a rock... Don't even know where he found it... But he was turning blue I've never been more afraid in my life.

Did you try red cross? They usually (around here) have a lot of classes going...

Quoting Mel0dy:

If she did choke you would turn in to super mom and get it out without even thinking about it. My DD choked on a apple a few months back, I never had any CPR or first aid training, I had no idea what I was doing but before I even thought about it she was in my arms turned so she was looking at the floor and i was hitting her on the back and the apple came flying out. It was the most scary 60 seconds of my life. 

MMerrill
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You hold the baby on your forearm, turn them over and give them a firm hit on the back with the base of your hand 5 times, turn them over and do 30 compressions using two fingers, and repeat.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You flip them over your forearm and pat their back. Also, I'd suggest deep cleaning your house ;) it makes things a lot easier when they're "exploring"

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

You don't need a class. You can buy the Red Cross kit for the same price you can take a class. I can't remember the site I got mine off of, but just google it. It comes with an infant doll and a video, this way you and anyone in your house who also watches her can learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)