Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Learning to walk..

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

My 8 month old has started to pull up and stand. She is so wobbly, but gets frustrated when she can't walk. Is there anything I can do to help her out or will she just learn on her own, like crawling and sitting? How long after standing did yours walk?

I am so excited for her to walk! But I am being patient with the little princess. :)

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicole_2007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

She will get there.  Mine got really frustreated to.  He is my third child and he just turned ten months and started trying to walk at 7 month and is now walking 7 or 8 steps on his own before decided he would rather crawl.  Giver her time.  You can always take her hands and help her walk or get her a toy she can hold on to and walk with

babies
baby developmentLilypie First Birthday tickers

abra
by Abra on May. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My kids usually start standing up around 9 months, and usuall learn to walk between 12 and 15 months old. 

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM
My son started sanding up and walking along furniture at 6 months but didnt start taking steps until 10 months and he was fully walking by 11 months. It can be a slow or fast process, I would let baby lead.
Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

You can try a pushable walk behind toy, just make sure you sit with her or it can get away from her pretty quick...

She'll get there :)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM
They pretty much just need to be given the opportunity to figure it out themselves.

In my experience walking is still months away if baby is just now learning to pull to standing.

My 3 kiddos could all pull up to standing by 6 or 7 months, then awhile after that started walking holding onto furniture. After THAT it was still a couple of months to walking independently. My one that walked the earliest didn't walk until 11 months.

Enjoy it while it lasts, once they start walking they get into a ton more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

She'll figure it out :) It sounds like she is just starting to cruise. My son started this around 8 months or so too. :) 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM

About eight months! DD could stand early on, and she could cruise with holding something by around a year old. But she wouldn't take independant steps until 18 months old!

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I just give my kiddos the freedom they need to learn on their own but I also like to sit a few steps away with my arms out once they're steady at pulling up/standing up to encourage them but once they get frustrated I'll go to them and help them take a couple steps by holding onto their hands and then go back to playing with them. Every child is different too. My first took her first step at 9 months and then she refused to take anymore. She just sat and watched how it was done. Then a week before her first birthday she got up and started walking and running. My second took her first step at 8 months and was walking within a couple days but not running until later that month. Both learned (and still learn) in very different ways. :-)

bad_mama2011
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM

My oldest was almost a year when he was learning how to walk, took his first unassisted steps about a week before he turned one, we got him a toy that he could push around and he figured out how to balance himself, it was like training wheels. :-)

CelestialSong
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

She'll learn on her own :) I don't remember how long mine stood before walking, at least a few months. But they all get there in their own time, there's no hurry :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)