Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are girls floppier than boys?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my first baby was a boy and he came out holding his head up pretty well.  He still flopped around a lot but he was pretty strong.

My dd who is a month old is still very floppy.  She can hold her head up just fine, but it is frequently falling to the side and she wiggles all around.

I ask because the nurse at the pediatrician said she's noticed that baby girls are floppier than baby boys.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I crazy?

by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I've had one girl and two boys (so far), all 3 could hold their heads up pretty well from birth at least briefly, but the boys could also roll over immediately. Of course the boys were over 9 pounds and the girl was only 7, so I always attributed the differences in strength to their size at birth and not their sex.
I've never seen any scientific data on this, but anecdotally I'd say it's more about the individual baby than if they're a boy vs girl. Most newborns I've seen are pretty floppy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

I've had one girl and two boys (so far), all 3 could hold their heads up pretty well from birth at least briefly, but the boys could also roll over immediately. Of course the boys were over 9 pounds and the girl was only 7, so I always attributed the differences in strength to their size at birth and not their sex.
I've never seen any scientific data on this, but anecdotally I'd say it's more about the individual baby than if they're a boy vs girl. Most newborns I've seen are pretty floppy.

DD was a pound lighter than DS, but she is growing just about the sane as him. I was curious just because the nurse mentioned it too.
boshs1andonly
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

i'm not sure, i only have a girl so there's no point of comparison lol but my dd could hold her head up pretty well from birth

mommy06and09
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM
son was holding his head up in the hospital for about 5 to 10 seconds. my girls didnt hold their heads up til they were at least 1 month old. also ds did everything early and my girls were on time or delayed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

both nephew came out holding his head up. my dd was holding her head in the hospital just a little floppy but not to much. i dont think it has anything to do with sex just the baby.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I think it's moreso a case of individual child than gender.

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

My boys were floppier then my girl, lol. But they both came a little early and she came late, could have something to do with that...

harajukumoma
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Both my girls were pretty sturdy- lol. Very Giid head/neck control. Don't have a boy to compare to- I did but gave him up for open adoption at 3 days old.. So I have no idea what he was like in that way at that age.
bad_mama2011
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I don't have any girls, so I haven't noticed. When my second was born, the nurse said she had never seen a baby as strong as he is.

paramore-marie
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM
I don't have any girls but my son came out holding his head up really strong. He was not floppy and it really surprised me because when I held my niece after she was born I felt like her little neck was gonna break. She couldn't hold it up at all... The nurses told me he had the strongest neck they'd ever seen. He also has had an extremely strong grip from birth lol. Both my niece and my son were born a day after their due dates. I think it's more of the individual baby rather than gender though. Boys tend to be bigger than girls so maybe that sorta has something to do with it? Although my son was 6 12 & my niece was 8 6 so idk...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)