Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Babysitter... overkill?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 41 Replies

DH and I are leaving our 15 week-old twins with a sitter for the first time ever to go to my brother's wedding and rehearsal dinner. My mother hired the sitter for us, who is the daughter of a long-time friend, who is my mom's hairdresser.

The girl is 15 years old and CPR certified. But, like any normal, red-blooded mother, I'm still nervous. Mostly because I've never left the boys with anyone but my parents or my husband's. I typed out all the instructions and information I think the sitter should have, but looking at it now, I feel like a crazy OCD paranoid bitch.

My list includes:

Basic information about the boys (with space to fill in what they will be wearing that day so she knows who is who), info about their susceptibility to diaper rash, what medications to give them if they need it and how much/how often, info about their feeding schedule/routine, sleep schedule/routine, asking her to give them tummy time, never to shake them, things that they enjoy, and that there should not be ANY visitors of any kind.

I also included all the phone numbers for my husband and I, my parents, emergency services, police, poison control, and pediatricians, and the address/phone number of the house.

Is this ridiculous? I felt like typing it out would be best so that she doesn't have to read my shit handwriting, and she has it all available in writing if she needed to refer back to it. But I feel like a crazy lady. Am I too paranoid? Or would you do this too? If so, is there any information I'm missing?

EDIT: Thanks to everyone for the input. For clarification, the wedding is adults-only, so we are not allowed to bring the boys or I totally would. It's either leave them with the sitter at my parents' house, or don't go to my baby brother's wedding :(

by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on May. 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

It is probably a bit overkill, but you are entitled to be concerned. I was the same way with my first. :-) 

PEEK05
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's ridiculous.  In fact, I'm not sure I could be as brave as you and leave my super young children with a 15 year old.  

Leah3333
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Nope I think it is perfectly acceptable. Tells her what she needs to know and she knows she can call you if she needs, however I would lessen the restrictions on no visitors to allowing her mother to come over if she feels a bit stressed with two babies

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM
If the boys don't have health issues it probably is over kill but we moms all do it a time or two, she might use it if needed but most likely shell be fine and handle it awesome.
SaraSnider
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
not over kill at all, i left my son with my friends mil and wrote all the feeding info, how to change an intact boy, and wrote please dont shake lol
MamaMerkle126
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Yeah that's actually a change I was going to make, because we've already talked to the mom, who said that she's right around the corner if help is needed and I'm more than okay with that. I trust her, she raised this girl to be a smart, responsible, kind young woman, so she obviously knows what she's doing!

Quoting Leah3333:

Nope I think it is perfectly acceptable. Tells her what she needs to know and she knows she can call you if she needs, however I would lessen the restrictions on no visitors to allowing her mother to come over if she feels a bit stressed with two babies

MamaMerkle126
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Yeah, I'm sure she will. If she's taken the time to take classes and get CPR certified, I think she's plenty trustworthy. But she IS young, and I remember at that age what I was like. I just can't help being a wee bit nervous... not necessarily about her personally, but whether she's experienced babies before, and for that matter, multiples.

Quoting Bookoholic:

If the boys don't have health issues it probably is over kill but we moms all do it a time or two, she might use it if needed but most likely shell be fine and handle it awesome.

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Lol, ask her. Most babysitters have no problem letting you know.

Quoting MamaMerkle126:

Yeah, I'm sure she will. If she's taken the time to take classes and get CPR certified, I think she's plenty trustworthy. But she IS young, and I remember at that age what I was like. I just can't help being a wee bit nervous... not necessarily about her personally, but whether she's experienced babies before, and for that matter, multiples.

Quoting Bookoholic:

paramore-marie
by on May. 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM
I would do the exact same thing. Your not a crazy mom lol I think every mother is concerned about leaving their kids with a stranger especially for the first time. I was a babysitter when I was younger so I know that young girls can be reliable BUT I'd still ask tons of questions just to be sure she knows what she's doing..
lauratupper
by on May. 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM

It's just fine. In fact at that age I am sure she will love it, so instead of being lost she can always refer to the list for help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN