Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When can I clip my newborns nails?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 37 Replies

My daughter is 10 days old and we are running out of outfits with the mittens built into them. (She is too small for the mittens that slip over her hands) When can we cut her nails?? They are super soft but so sharp! I'm afraid they won't clip or that I will cut her trying =[..

Oh and when can I use lotion on her? Her skin is peeling sooo bad

by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I cut both of mine at a few days. They were both winter babies that put their hands in their mouths. The mitts get wet and stay cold. I do suggest coconut oil or an all natural lotion instead of regular lotion or baby lotion because they have lots of chemicals. I used eucerin with my oldest and oil for my son. He only needed it for a few weeks in a few places.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbutton24
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I use Tate's brand on dd. it's a little pricey, but it's organic. None of the nasty chemicals and toxins :) you can find them online!
Avetay
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I waited till my kids were 2 weeks old and ( sounds gross) but If they wouldn't let me clip their nails i would bite them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I use a nail file on my baby's nails so I don't cut the skin with the clippers. The file is safer to me.

CarlyK23
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I did the day they were born

Fields456
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Same here. Dd would not let me clip her nails for a long time even in her sleep and biting them is so much better than them scratching themselves or accidentally cutting their fingers when they are fighting you

Quoting Avetay:

I waited till my kids were 2 weeks old and ( sounds gross) but If they wouldn't let me clip their nails i would bite them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
From birth for both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
From the day all three were born. Peeling is normal. I can't remember off the top of my head why. But both my midwives with my first and third told me. But all my girls did too.
Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM

i clipped her nails after 2 days. no mittens the baby needs to feel with their hands not be trapped in mittens. peeling is normal, the baby was just in a sac of "water" now in air so its like if you were sitting in a bath for a very long time you would peel too.  like pp said coconut oil works best.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM

As soon as needed for both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)