Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

New mom

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi, I am an older new mom, we have just adopted our newborn daughter and look forward to gaining some info, chatting and sharing. 

My Only question at this point is to wear infant or not during the fussy evening hours, I am not opposed but I want her to learn to self sooth so at what point am I 'spoiling' her, few weeks" a month....I don't have a sling but very intrigued.

thank you for any input!

by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Infants do not get spoiled.  They don't have the mentality to think that way.  And they won't develop it until WAY WAY later.  Around a year old. Sometimes later.  If she likes to be close, then definitely wear her.  Make sure you're using a wrap or a sling and not a hard-structured carrier.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats on the new l/o (little one) i always wore my son when i had things to get done. You can't spoil a baby by holding it you are showing it you love it and will always be there for it and developing a close bond w u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, self-soothing is not something that you need to even think about for a long while yet.  She won't be able to do it for many many months.  It's not a learned behavior.  It's developmental and will happen when SHE is ready.  Which will be on a different time frame than when YOU are ready.  :)

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I choose not to wear my baby. I have a carrier when we are out at places that i cant have a stroller. But i have a bad back and to wear him everyday would kill. Just an hour in the carrier is torture
Stevensmomma
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You can never spoil a infant get all that new baby hugs and cuddling in while you can wear your baby as much as you want right now you are teaching her to trust in you and look towards you for comfort and love so hold her when she needs to be held !! 

Lillysmommy0113
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM

an infant CAN NOT be spoiled. she needs you to show her that you will always be there to love her and to trust in you! if she want held, hold her. get a wrap and carry her around like that if you have to. i don't use a wrap i just carry my daughter around its easier for us.

Congrats on the new daughter!!

angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I always wore my son during the fussy hours! I loved the moby wrap until he was around 6 months old is when we both started to get uncomfortable and started using an Ergo. 

KRIZZ25
by on May. 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM
u have a colicky baby .try the car seat on the dryer..or rocking, bouncing her,get swing or vibrating seat ..car rides mite help to ..try to get all the gas out ..
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM
You spoil a child by things like rewarding temper tantrums with what they want and not setting and enforcing boundaries when they're older, NOT by offering a clueless, helpless newborn love & comfort whenever it needs it.

Think about it: would you be more confident, happy, & secure if your husband ignored you when you were upset and withheld affection when you are having a bad day? Doubtful, and you're a grown adult who could at least understand his rational!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickigoingon8
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I am a mom that doesn't believe in the self sooth method when they are infants because I don't believe that you can spoil an infant they need to know that you are there for them....I am not saying that self soothing is wrong but it is something I have never practiced and I haven't had an issue with any of my kids(there are 8 of them). Not saying that it could have back fired in my face, but I have noticed at fussy time it is usually a gas issue for mine and they need the patting of the back or holding them and tucking in the knees to the stomach to help relieve the gas. Good Luck and congrats!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)