Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding 7 month old - she doesn't want to eat solids

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 36 Replies

I had asked advise on this post for food ideas and now she is not interested in eating.

We have tried to feed our dd sweet potato and banana a few times each and she shows no interest. She spits most of it out and turns her head away when we try to feed it to her. We have fed her on a spoon and have tried using our fingertips as well. We also put some on the table for her to pick up and eat, but she just pushes it around.

We have played around with the texture, mashed it with no milk, with a little milk and with a lot of milk. I am going to buy some brown rice and grind it up and make some rice cereal for her tomorrow and see what she thinks of that.

Should we just keep trying different things and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Google baby led solids. Cereal is garbage. Your doc is wrong.
Larsbug
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

honestly I would start with green veggies... then after a few weeks go to yellow veggies, then a few more weeks and fruits...

huneebadger
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

We have looked into that and may do that after letting her start with something that is easier for her to swallow. We are first time parents and are paranoid she may choke if we give her pieces of food! I do not want to give her rice cereal, so I am looking for alternatives on the natural side.

Quoting ceckyl:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Sweet potatoes is an EXCELLENT first food! Jam packed with nutrients and calories. :)
Doc is wrong, totally ignore the cereal crap, no baby ever needs any type of cereals. Google "baby led solids", lots of great ideas will pop up for you. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Avocado is a great first food. I wouldn't do any kind of cereal until closer to a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crob4
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

If you're afraid to give her whole chunks of food, mash up some avocado or banana with a fork and let her eat that.  Much more nutrient dense than infant cereal which is junk food anyway.

Quoting huneebadger:

We have looked into that and may do that after letting her start with something that is easier for her to swallow. We are first time parents and are paranoid she may choke if we give her pieces of food! I do not want to give her rice cereal, so I am looking for alternatives on the natural side.

Quoting ceckyl:

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Skip all cereals. Feed her real vegetables, not the baby kind. Put fruits and veggies in a blender and strain them out. Get broccoli heads and feed that to her. My baby loved potatoes - both baked and mashed - as her first food. As well as yogurt. 

tresproudmommy
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We did baby led solids after learning about it on this site, and didn't start til around 8mths.  Best decision I ever made!  My DD is not 10mths and will eat practically anything I give her.  My DS4, we started at 6mths with cereal and baby food.  Now he is a very picky eater and only eats about a hand-full of things.  I wish I would have known all the things that I do now but hey you get wiser with age.

huneebadger
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We have sweet potatoes so will most likely start with that!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Sweet potatoes is an EXCELLENT first food! Jam packed with nutrients and calories. :)
Doc is wrong, totally ignore the cereal crap, no baby ever needs any type of cereals. Google "baby led solids", lots of great ideas will pop up for you. :)

huneebadger
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

We have never bought Avocado, but maybe we should give this a try as well!

Quoting xredstarsx:

Avocado is a great first food. I wouldn't do any kind of cereal until closer to a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN