Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

A bad mom right here :(

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 67 Replies

ok so I noticed that my 3 month old son favors one side of his head to the other. I noticed this when he was a month. One side of his head (his left side) was flatter then his right. HE can move his head to the left but it is a lot harder to turn. I have done tummy time maybe not as often as I should but it seems to be working his head is starting to even out a little more. I feel like a horrible mom I should have done tummy time more maybe he would have this. I looked it up it is called Torticollis. His doctor said their is a good chance he will grow out of it. keep doing tummy time and have him try and get him to turn his head to the left his weak side. I feel so bad and ready to cry. 

Please no bashing I feel bad as it is. 

by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmomat22
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I fear he may need a helmet to even out his head. I just don't know what to do. 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Just give him tummy time and hold him a lot. Minimal time in car seats or baby entertainers. It'll be fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frillyflower
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

It's common. I'm surprised the doctor didn't give you exercises and stretches to do with him. You need to loosen that other muscle up. By the way, you don't always outgrow it. I had it, never treated, still have it. My head is always tilted to the right because that muscle is so tight compared to the muscle on the other side. I did physical therapy for a while a few years back and it annoyed me so I quit. I'm 30 years old now, so I'm used to it. But, he's young enough you can fix it. Ask for stretches and stuff you can do with him!

Mama110981
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
My son did the same thing. He always turned to the right. He 6 minths now and its fine
lauratupper
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting larissalarie:

Just give him tummy time and hold him a lot. Minimal time in car seats or baby entertainers. It'll be fine :-)

nicole2884
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Torticollis is something they are born with I thought the little boy I take Care of was born with a moderate case an needed occupational therapy he us fine now
expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
You are not at all a bad mom!!!! That is normal. Just continue tummy time. HUGS mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Don't stress! If he needs a helmet then that will be fine too. Have you seen some of the helmets? They make some awesome ones! Very stylish :) cheer up mama.
Hugs
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Torticollis can be helped with some therapy and not caused by "not enough tummy time"

Try a wrap and wear baby. The flat spot could work its way out on its own! At 3 months, the head is still very pliable. :)
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Take him to a chiropractor! You will notice a difference almost immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)