Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Who do you allow to watch your baby...

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I have two boys. We are very rarely separated from them but on the occasion that we need a babysitter, we only ask immediate family. Basically, my sister or both sets of grandparents. Because we trust them completely.

Recently, people have been giving me a lot of  grief because I don't want to put my 1 year old in the church nursery. I may be odd and overprotective but I truly don't like my baby being cared for by people that I don't know all that well. It's just a little out of my comfort zone.

But since people keep commenting about my not trusting church nursery workers, it got me thinking...am I abnormally overprotective?

So I'm just wondering, who do you allow to watch your baby? Are you comfortable letting someone watch your LO when you don't know them that well?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM
No,I'm the same way(well maybe it is over protective)my mom,2 very close friends and my sil. That is it. No one else
peanuteb
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents, her goddmother and one dear friend are the ONLY ones I have babysit for me.  I dont even allow my in-laws.  When dh was a baby they dropped him!  I would never leave my lo with anyone I didnt know or feel comfortable around.  I am probably overprotective but thats not gonna change!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Only my mom, in-laws and my grandparents have watched the babies

iansmommy9
by Natasha on May. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 32 months old and in the begining, I was crazed with being with him. I left him with my in-laws for a few hours to go to my 6 week check up, and then I wasn't away from him again until he was over 3 months old. I left him a few hours with DH. It was an exhausting process finding a daycare center for him when I went back to work when he was almost 5 months old. I found fault with everyone. Eventually, I found a daycare that had cameras, so between me, DH and inlaws, he was pretty much watched around the clock at daycare. I do admit, I pretty much interrigated any staff that cared for DS. 

After he turned 2, I began to lighten up a bit and we changed to a daycare without a camera and I let him go to church nursary. I felt like he could communicate if somehting negative had ocurred.

He still only stays with in-laws if we need care outside of work or church. If they weren't an hour away, they'd keep him while we work

BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you. I didn't even try to put my DS in the nursery until after he was a year old. Even then it was never a good experience. He started daycare 3 days a week and 3 hours each day when he was 22 months old and never once fussed (not once) and yet he still dislikes the church nursery. He always is eager to go to daycare but never the nursery. I dislike the fact that just anyone can volunteer. Typically the volunteers are the elderly ladies. Who cannot get on the children's level to play let alone pick a 1-2 year old up without having to be sitting down first. The one time he did well there was when a young couple was volunteering and they engaged him and distracted him so he was content the entire time. Any other time he'd cry hysterically and I would get paged out of service to get him because they couldn't console him.

I've sat in the nursery a few times and overheard women talking about me staying in the nursery with my child. I found it ironic they'd sit in church and gossip about me. Even worse to where I overheard them.

I don't feel bad for being protective of my son. I have no issue telling people I won't leave him because I don't trust them. My second is due within days and I will not consider leaving him or her until they're a year old. My babies are only with mom or dad. Only reason DS was in daycare was because I couldn't arrange my college schedule to keep him home with myself or DH. If we had family that lived nearby we'd employ them to watch our kids. Not that my MIL hasn't tried but being two hours away from my babies ain't happening anytime soon.
angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I don't go to church so I wouldn't do that either lol. But other wise the only people I ask to sit are grandparents or my sister. I also have another friend who does in home daycare that I let watch him too. 

Larsbug
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM

my mom and my aunt are the only ones who ever watch them...not because I don't trust my in-laws (rent or SIL's) but everytime we ask them they say no. My mom and my aunt are the only ones who will ever do it.

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Close family and friends. We live over a thousand miles from both so we have and our neighbor watch our son. I trust her though and I watch her 3 year old every morning. I don't think you are being overprotective. If we were still at our old base I would let the nursery workers watch my son. The only reason being is because I know them and am friends with them. I should also mention that to be a nursery worker where we were and I'm guessing at every military installation you have to apply for it and take a background/criminal check.
aj_mom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Outside of daycare; our parents and DD's godparents.

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM
My parents, my brother, or my mom's best friend for now. My youngest is 5 months old, but before he was born I trusted a few others. I just don't like leaving my kids with anyone I don't know really well until they are able to vocalize and tell me about their time with the sitter. Even then, I am picky. I have to feel 100% comfortable. I always felt comfortable with my kids in out church nursery (very small church), but not in the nursery at his grandmothers very large church.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)