Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby led solids question

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
  • 7 Replies
So, from what I've heard this method allows babies to self regulate food intake so they are not over fed. My question is, do all babies know how to self regulate?

My son is 8 months old and loves food. From what we can tell he will eat good as long as it is in front of him no matter if he just took a bottle, full can of baby food, or baby snacks. We do monitor and regulate his intake, but isn't he supposed to be able to himself too?

Edit: just to clarify, I realize purres aren't BLS, I was just asking about the self feed/over feeding. Because he likes to self feed and we are almost out of purres.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
My son loves to eat as well. All I do is give him some of my food (small pieces off my plate, a few bites at a time) . I let him eats all he wants until my plate of food is gone. Normally he doesn't fuss when there is no more, if he does I just nurse him again.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Formula or breastmilk:
7-9 months: 24-36 ounces
10-12 months: 18-30 ounces

7-12 months: 1/2-1 cup pureed, canned, or soft fresh fruits, such as bananas

8-12 months: 1/4-1/2 cup (include cottage and regular cheese, fish, eggs, small pieces of tender meats, or chopped meats.)

6-12 months: 1-2 Tbsp/day after 6 months of age

Grains should be introduced after 12 months. Here's why:

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Baby food/purees aren't a bls thing, though. They're like 12 calories anyway. Lol.

Yes, babies eat when they're hungry. I imagine the purees do nothing to fill up baby's tummy.

And just remember that baby needs a bottle before solids...have fun!
polkaspots
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Cereal and jarred food don't count because its not food they're feeding themselves. It's very unlikely he's over feeding himself if he's only getting milk and what he puts in his own mouth. I do believe that is a condition but I've never known anyone to have it and I feel like you wouldn't know at eight months. Most babies like to eat, it's when they get older than they don't like this and that tastes funny. Babies are generally excellent eaters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on May. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

bump

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Honestly at that age, I'd make sure she had enough breastmilk, and then feed her whatever she wanted to eat until she stopped eating. I've never been worried about overfeeding, and she's at a perfect weight now.

jessicajen
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I do think at a certain point you should just give less, cause the caloric intake is higher than it should if you keep on letting the baby have as much as he wants. Or you just want to give only healthy foods, the option I prefer. I use this website http://goodmomming.com to get inspired with foods for my precious. It's accurate and useful. You could give it a try! Hope it helps you too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)