Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

2 month checkup---Vaccinations?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi! My two month old has his well baby checkup tomorrow, where they will want to begin his vaccinations. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with doing that, but I know that I'm probably going to get hell from the doctor and nurse. He was full-term at birth (natural/med-free), exclusively breastfed, and is otherwise healthy. Also, he'll be starting daycare in two weeks. What are some resources I can visit to better prepare myself for the appointment, and what do you recommend--- no vaccinations, or a delayed/modified schedule?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I recommend doing research, and definitely not vaccinating until you are done researching. You can get them later if you choose to do so, but you can never take them back! We do not vaccinate at all. The group choosing not to vaccinate has a great resource library. I would start there!
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

No one can tell you, or even recommend, whether to vax your kids or not or to delay.  That is something that only you and your SO can determine.  You need to do your own research.  I love "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears.  It was a great jumping off point in terms of research.  Also, unless you specifically told them not to, your baby has already received the first dose of the Hep B vaccine.  In the hospital at birth.  :/

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I vaccinate. I live in a military setting and so many people around the world coming here, and no clue what they are bringing, so i vaccinate
emilyelephant
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I suggest, if anything, getting half tomorrow and half the next week, instead of all at once. The choice to vax is a very personal decision. I also suggest the CM group. I wanted to delay, but I didn't do research until she had already had her 2 month shots, and the only ped in my area that would take my insurance only delays until 6 months, so she would have only skipped one set.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

You can request to delay vax. I wouldn't allow ANY vaccinations until three months. Find a doctor who is willing to work with you in delayed vax.

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I didnt tell them not to give vax in hospital and my baby did not get the hep b vax there.  I asked the pediatrician to check records and and showed no hep b shot yet.

abra
by Abra on May. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

How your doctor reacts totally depends on who you choose for a doctor. Our doctor, for example, is fine with our selective and delayed vaccination preferences. If you don't trust your doctor, you need to find one you do. Your health is nothing to mess around with. 

abra
by Abra on May. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

same here :-) Unless the labor is particularly traumatic, we also decline the Vitamin K shot and I get tested instead of using the eye drops at birth, too. It has never been a problem! 

Quoting Turtledoves:

You can request to delay vax. I wouldn't allow ANY vaccinations until three months. Find a doctor who is willing to work with you in delayed vax.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
I personally chose to vaccinate my boys :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOVEZOEY
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

its all what you want. I vax, but don't judge people who don't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)