Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help!

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 11 Replies
My daughter is 3 weeks and 2 days old today and for the last 8 feedings she refuses to latch on so I give in and just give her a bottle of breast milk. Is this her way of saying she's done with breast feeding already? My son didn't stop until he was 18 months. Should I just continue to give her bottles or try getting her to latch until she gives in? I don't want my baby to be done with breast already :(
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Keep trying to get her to latch, and be sure that she is latching correctly.

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Bottles are a slippery slope, if you want to keep breastfeeding you need to be careful with giving bottles. Could it be OAL or a tongue/lip tie?

fortressmom
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nope. That's her showing you she prefers the ease of the bottle over the work of the boob. Toss the bottles and nurse. She won't starve herself, eventually she will latch on and nurse again. As long as there are no underlying issues such as lip or tongue tie you will have to out-stubborn her on this if you want her back on the boob.

lanys_mom
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

i'd keep trying to get her to latch, if she's really hungry, she will latch

robibuni
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Definitely continue offering breast and trying to get her to latch. You DON'T want her to show nipple preference with a bottle (which it seems like she's currently doing). A baby doesn't have to work as hard to use a bottle.

No baby will self wean that young.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Babies don't wean themselves that early. She's showing that she likes the bottle more probably because it has a faster flow. Stop the bottles unless you plan to exclusively pump. It's not worth the trouble in my opinion. Don't give in when she refuses to latch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Stop giving bottles. At this point you need to outstubburn baby.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM
No. Stop giving bottles. Use a syringe or spoon. Offer the breast every hour.

She's probably having a growth spurt and she's getting impatient with letdown. Giving bottles, which flow faster, is going to give her nipple preference.

Quoting Mommyandme878:

My daughter is 3 weeks and 2 days old today and for the last 8 feedings she refuses to latch on so I give in and just give her a bottle of breast milk. Is this her way of saying she's done with breast feeding already? My son didn't stop until he was 18 months. Should I just continue to give her bottles or try getting her to latch until she gives in? I don't want my baby to be done with breast already :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOVEZOEY
by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Is there a lactation consultant where you live that you could contact?

937mrsweaver
by on May. 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM

if shes getting bottles of BM does it matter? do you actually like her sucking your boob?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)