Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sleep question?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 16 Replies
My son is 8 months & 3 weeks and whenever he wakes up at night i go in and rock him back to sleep. He isn't ever awake long and I never interact with him, just pick him, his blankey, and his pacifier up and rock him. For a while i had been falling asleep alot in the rocking chair and that meant i had to stay longer because once i would get up he would wake up from being snuggled so long. I know he should be put down while awake and fall asleep on his own but I've never done it and I personally don't see the true need at this age. He doesn't sleep in our bed anymore at all, he sleeps the entire night once or twice a week, and i like snuggling him at night. I just worry I'm doing the wrong thing. Any advice?
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on May. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM

If you are happy with the routine you have, then there is no reason to switch it up. :-) 

cabrandy03
by Brandy on May. 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Sounds like things are fine.  :)

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I would personally just bring him back to bed to avoid falling asleep sitting up with him just because it would seem dangerous to me... but whatever works for you, and if you feel comfortable with it, great.

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM

If it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about it :)

I keep mine in my bed for much later then that.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I agree :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I would personally just bring him back to bed to avoid falling asleep sitting up with him just because it would seem dangerous to me... but whatever works for you, and if you feel comfortable with it, great.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Sounds fine to me.

BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM
You're fine so long as it works for you. My son can be laid down awake and I sit in the same place in the room with my back turned to him and he's asleep in fewer than 5 minutes. I could never bring myself to CIO. He'll happily sleep in his bed or our bed. We've bed shared until here recently. He was mostly nursed to sleep but the transition to just being nearby and him falling asleep on his own was seemingly easy.
Kellileanne
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Do what feels right to you.

937mrsweaver
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

my son is also 8 months and the same way.. he will never go to sleep even when he cant keep his eyes open he fights it so bad when i rock him and put him in there he is good to go! i look at like this, they are only little once and wont always want us to rock them to sleep so better enjoy it while u can!

also it is very dangerous to fall asleep holding  him.. try to work on that!

TheMommaJessie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

i rocked my son to sleep until he was 2 years old and he is almost 3 and as long as you sit with him he will go to sleep on his own. i do not believe that there is one way that is correct for all children. if rocking him back to sleep in the middle of the night works for yall then that is what you need to do. i nurse or hold my dd until she goes to sleep & she is 7 months. they even occassionally sleep with us. to each their own

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)