Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Newborn Throwing up in the morning only

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 29 Replies

My DD is 3 weeks old and is breastfed. And every morning, without fail, she throws up. Not spit up. Throws up. And she doesn't do it at all throughout the day. What could be causing this?? I feed her with her head elevated and I even hold her upright for about 20 minutes after feeding her...The thing I can think that MAY be causing it is once a night, my SO gives her a bottle of breastmilk instead of me BFing. He enjoys the quality time with her and it gives me some time to sleep. But why would that cause the throw up??

Should I be concerned?

by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSusieQ045
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM
She might be getting a tummy full of air from the bottle which could cause her to throw up...
coffeemom37043
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

We burp her really well though

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

She might be getting a tummy full of air from the bottle which could cause her to throw up...

MamaSusieQ045
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Sometimes no matter how well you burp them there seems to be a bubble that won't come out.. Have you tried different brands of bottles?

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

coffeemom37043
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM

No we haven't. Maybe we will for tonight's feeding

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

Sometimes no matter how well you burp them there seems to be a bubble that won't come out.. Have you tried different brands of bottles?

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

MamaSusieQ045
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Maybe try that and see if it helps.. Good luck! If she still has the same problem maybe try a little bit of mylicon(sp)

Quoting coffeemom37043:

No we haven't. Maybe we will for tonight's feeding

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting MamaSusieQ045:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Supply is naturally higher in the morning which can make your letdown and flow a bit overwhelming.
How big are the bottles she's getting? And I hope your pumping while those bottles are being given or else you run the risk of clogged ducts, mastitis, and supply issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coffeemom37043
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We give 3 oz and yes, I am

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Supply is naturally higher in the morning which can make your letdown and flow a bit overwhelming.
How big are the bottles she's getting? And I hope your pumping while those bottles are being given or else you run the risk of clogged ducts, mastitis, and supply issues.

twogirl91
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My son always spits up a lot if he has a sippy cup of breast milk, no matter how much we burp him. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
That's too much from a bottle, 2oz MAX at this age.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

We give 3 oz and yes, I am

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morgan0023
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I disagree with the woman who said your 3 ounces is too much. If that's how much your baby eats, then thats how much she eats. At 3 weeks old, my son was eating a full 4 ounce bottle every three hours. He is now 7 months old, eating solid food (except for a bottle at bedtime), he has never been sick, never had any issues, is not overweight. Remember, every baby is different! You do what is best for your baby mama, you're doing great! As far as throwing up in the morning, using different bottles might help. We had that issue for awhile, and switched from Playtex to Dr.Browns bottles. They're a bit pricey, but its worth it. They cut down on a LOT of the air that normal bottles give.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN