Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 9 Replies
What are some things you all do to get you little ones to drink more? My almost 14 month old is cutting more teeth and has really slowed on eating & drinking. I think she's getting enough to eat but I worry about fluids. It seems like she's slowed down on wet diapers & I get a little worried that she's drinking enough. She mostly likes milk & water. No juice seems to taste good to her, which is ok with me. Anything you all do to get your little ones to drink more?? My husband thinks I'm crazy being worried but I guess it's my job as a 1st time mom right?!?!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
937mrsweaver
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

i would call  her doc and see whta they  say. this is normal and she should be ok.. maybe try a lilttle bit of pedialyte?..

robibuni
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Slow down in food at this age is normal. Their growth is slowing now.

As far as liquids go, do you still nurse her? If so, she's getting PLENTY of liquids that way. I still nurse my almost 15 month old and I know she's getting plenty of liquids, but I also offer her a sippy of water. We make sure to use ice in ours and now both girls love ice water.

What kind of sippies have you tried? It wasn't until my youngest was around 14 months that she even WANTED a sippy. She started using straws, then attempted the sippy cup. You could offer her a straw and see if she tries to drink from it, and move on from a sippy.

Before she accepted straws or sippy cups, I gave her sips from a regular cup.

ladodger
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I still nurse her on morning & night. She's way too busy & not interested in nursing during the day. I called earlier in the week because she had some liquidy stool & figured it was teething but asked about pedialyte & they said sure no problem, but what do you know she doesn't like it! I have a picky little girl! :/ As far as silly cups, she does great with them. I just tried a cup with a straw & she had no trouble with that either. It's like she just doesn't want to drink. I offer and she pushes it away. I just don't know what to do with her. She doesn't act like she doesn't feel good, she's never even gotten a fever with her teeth, just fussiness, a couple loose poops, & decreased appetite.
larissalarie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never worried about it. The human body is designed for survival, she's not going to dehydrate herself. At that age my children were offered water and were still breastfed. The liquid was there, it was up to them to decide when and how much to drink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Sometimes I freeze pedialyte into a Popsicle for my 13 month old. Just keep an eye on them while they are eating it. :-) 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Try to nurse more. It is the best thing for her right now.
jessicaaris
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It is important to worry about dehydration in babies and toddlers. When my kids aren't feeling well I let them drink anything they want (not soda or anything like that) to make sure they are hydrated. Water and milk are fine I think, any sort of juice or gaterade are good too, depending on how old your LO is. Pedialyte is good too.

expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Popsicles and baby orajel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

if she nurses a couple times a day and has a soft liquidy stool, she probably just isnt thirsty! food has water in it too, fruits and veggies especially

Quoting ladodger:

I still nurse her on morning & night. She's way too busy & not interested in nursing during the day. I called earlier in the week because she had some liquidy stool & figured it was teething but asked about pedialyte & they said sure no problem, but what do you know she doesn't like it! I have a picky little girl! :/ As far as silly cups, she does great with them. I just tried a cup with a straw & she had no trouble with that either. It's like she just doesn't want to drink. I offer and she pushes it away. I just don't know what to do with her. She doesn't act like she doesn't feel good, she's never even gotten a fever with her teeth, just fussiness, a couple loose poops, & decreased appetite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)