Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son has been potty training for a while now.. We started out naked with a sticker chart and he would just go by himself. Anyway, it took us a while for him to start telling me when he had to go (without just running in by himself and going) when he was fully dressed and going. Now that he's telling me when he needs to go when he is fully dressed consistently we haven't had any accidents at home. The only problem we run into is when we're out and he needs to go, but he refuses to use any other seat than his one at home. He'll tell me that he needs to go but when I take him into either a public restroom or the bathroom at his grand parents house he'll look at the toilet and say no he doesn't have to go anymore.. So how can I get him comfortable going on other seats? I've tried putting a smaller seat on and he doesn't want to use that either. I think he's scared of using a regular toilet. Lol anyway, I already bring plenty of extra bottoms for him in case of accidents but I'm looking for advice on getting him on other toilets outside of home.

Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm not sure. I haven't potty trained Jude yet and with my older kids, I waited until they were 3 so we were able to reason thought the toilet differences. :-) Best of luck. 

angela.bouchard
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Thanks. I think he was ready when we started. I noticed he was staying dry through nap time and we had tried a few times before just letting him sit on it but this last time when he got his first sticker he just kept going. 

Quoting abra:

I'm not sure. I haven't potty trained Jude yet and with my older kids, I waited until they were 3 so we were able to reason thought the toilet differences. :-) Best of luck. 

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

abra
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

that is fantastic! 

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Thanks. I think he was ready when we started. I noticed he was staying dry through nap time and we had tried a few times before just letting him sit on it but this last time when he got his first sticker he just kept going. 

Quoting abra:

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

lauratupper
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM
bump! We still haven't figured that out either.
angela.bouchard
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

What do you do?

Quoting lauratupper:

lauratupper
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

At home we have one that goes on the regular toilet, but it's too big to carry with us, so we have a little fold up on that goes on toilets, it's for travel, but ds hates it and won't use it. So I don't know what to do expect wait for him to be ready and bring extra pull ups.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

What do you do?

Quoting lauratupper:

jessicaaris
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I think it may just be something he outgrows. Do you use a small potty chair or one of the seats you put on a regular toilet?

angela.bouchard
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Small potty chair but we have both. He doesn't want to use the regular toilet at home either, even with the seat that goes on it. 

Quoting jessicaaris:

I think it may just be something he outgrows. Do you use a small potty chair or one of the seats you put on a regular toilet?

goodmama85
by Sapphire Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Bump.still trying to potty train my 7 old ds he's special needs :/

JKronrod
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

If he responds to stickers, could you set up a chart with stickers and a contest of how many different toilets he pees in? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)