Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
Is honey really that bad for babies? My mother said that if babies have honey before the age of two they could die from it. Is that true or just an old wives tale?
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
abra
by Abra on May. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

yup this. 

Quoting larissalarie:

It's actually age one. And it's because of the botulism that can be in honey. Harmless to someone older, but it can make a baby extremely ill because their system isn't mature enough to deal with it yet.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

mylilprincesses
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Your welcome. I didn't know about this to recently.. my husband had bought our 6month old some natural meds..but it had honey in it.. which I have heard they could not have then I read up on and scared the heck out of me.

Quoting To_the_moon:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

http://m.kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/feeding/honey_botulism.html

Thank you :)
wolfybaby
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
egg *yolks* are okay! Just wanted to clarify that. But everything else is otherwise correct.
jessicajen
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

The honey is NOT recommended till 1st year of baby's life because of the botulism. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website http://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it 

angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Got it in your first answer :)

Quoting larissalarie:

It's actually age one. And it's because of the botulism that can be in honey. Harmless to someone older, but it can make a baby extremely ill because their system isn't mature enough to deal with it yet.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I believe it's age one, and since it puts them at risk for botulism, it can be quite serious. I've always followed the guide lines for food things like that. If it has honey baked inside of it or something though, it's okay. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

before one, certainly, it can cause botulism in infants which they can die or have serious issues from...some prefer to wait until two because it gives the digestive system that much more time to be prepared to fight botulism spores.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

actually, only the honey part is true.  The newest research shows that introducing berries, fish, shellfish, nuts, eggs and dairy between 6 and 12 months is the safest time to introduce them to reduce the risk of allergies, younger than that and older than that  can actually increase allergy rates.

Quoting brittany208:

true. NO honey (or strawberries or eggs or milk...) for babies under one!!

brittany208
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

really? i guess things have changed in the last four years since I had my first...

Quoting emkirkley:

actually, only the honey part is true.  The newest research shows that introducing berries, fish, shellfish, nuts, eggs and dairy between 6 and 12 months is the safest time to introduce them to reduce the risk of allergies, younger than that and older than that  can actually increase allergy rates.

Quoting brittany208:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

the studies have actually been out for several years, I didn't withold those things in my almost 4 year old or my 2 year old, and the only thing I witheld for my almost 12 year old was berries because my mom and I are allergic...but we live in Louisiana, so the fish and shellfish was a cultural thing and my doc left the eggs and nuts up to me as long as she was over 8 months old he was happy.

ETA: I think it's like a ton of other things...the AAP and other dermatology and allergy groups may change their recommendations, but that doesn't mean that doctors keep up with the updates (just like with car seats)

Quoting brittany208:

really? i guess things have changed in the last four years since I had my first...

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting brittany208:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)