Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Stop Breast Feeding

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello. My baby is 18 months old and i would like to stop breast feeding...any ideas on how to approach this

by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM
Replies (21-25):
mamapajero
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting preacherskid:

Best way is to drop one feeding per week, starting with the one baby is least attached to.

I dont understand what you mean by this......do you mean if the baby breast feeds in the mornin afternoon and evevning, i can start by say droping the afternoon sessions then gradually proceeding to the rest?

Thanks about the mastitis info...i did not know that

mamapajero
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Turtledoves:

Drop one feeding per week. Good luck though, I'm trying to wean my 23 month old (I'm pregnant and it's absolutely killing me!) but she's so reluctant that it's a constant battle. I feel bad for weaning her before she's ready, but I've been having problems for two months now! (DD was nursing 6-8 times even at 21 months old, I dropped her down to 4, and then 3. We're struggling with dropping down to 2)

I need all the luck i can get.....frankly i think my little wayne is a booby addict

mamapajero
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting brittany208:

I gradually replaced breastfeedings with bottle feedings, then gradually switched the bottles from pumped breastmilk to whole milk (I mixed them and gradually upped the ratio). worked really easily for us.

I tried this but it failed to work especially at night....he would wake up at night and cry when i gave him bottle milk (whole milk) so i just reverted back to breast feeding

brittany208
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

well, if you could let him get used to it during the day first, then do nighttime a bit later, it might work? i dont know 

Quoting mamapajero:

Quoting brittany208:

I gradually replaced breastfeedings with bottle feedings, then gradually switched the bottles from pumped breastmilk to whole milk (I mixed them and gradually upped the ratio). worked really easily for us.

I tried this but it failed to work especially at night....he would wake up at night and cry when i gave him bottle milk (whole milk) so i just reverted back to breast feeding

preacherskid
by on May. 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mamapajero:

Quoting preacherskid:

Best way is to drop one feeding per week, starting with the one baby is least attached to.

I dont understand what you mean by this......do you mean if the baby breast feeds in the mornin afternoon and evevning, i can start by say droping the afternoon sessions then gradually proceeding to the rest?

Thanks about the mastitis info...i did not know that

Exactly that :)  Drop the afternoon feeding, then after a week or so, drop another feeding time, etc.  The goal is to get him slowly accustomed to less nursing, then none.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)