Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

5 week old has bowel problems. Advice?

Posted by   + Show Post
Carter seems to get pretty backed up at least once or twice a week. He typically only has one big poop a day anyway, and I can tell he's extremely uncomfortable when he doesn't go. I've had him to the pedi literally 4 times already trying to get advice, but they aren't concerned. It's one of those "well, I know my baby better and the doctor is wrong" things.

I've tried gripe water, and taking his temp rectally to loosen him up, nothing is working this time. I haven't used suppositories though /:
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
Loveavision
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
formula, but no..when he does poop it's a normal consistency and about 1/2 mustard seedy and 1/2 dark green

Quoting emkirkley:

is it hard, dry, tearin him? if not, I agree with the doctor.  are you nursing or formula feeding?

Loveavision
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
that's exactly what I'm going through ): but he is formula fed

Quoting SteffM0501:

My four-week-old has the same problem. Aubrey had regular bowel movements the first two weeks we were home and then BAM tummy troubles galore. She practically shrieks whenever she has gas or needs to poop. Her doctor assures us that she is fine but it doesn't make me feel any better, especially when it's 2 AM and Aubrey' s screaming in pain. It kills me to hear that "pain" cry. We've tried modifying my diet (we're breastfeeding), gas drops, bicycling her legs, bouncing, warm compresses on her tummy...etc. so far nothing has really helped, it may just be something she has to grow out of. 

- Steff

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
4 moms liked this

If it's normal consistency, then your baby is NOT constipated and does NOT need help going.  His body is regulating itself and it's learning how to relax the anus while using the other muscles to push with.  It's normal and nothing that you should be stimulating him for for any reason anything in the rectum could make things worse because it can rupture the membranes.  Really and truely it's normal and nothing you should worry about.

Quoting Loveavision:

formula, but no..when he does poop it's a normal consistency and about 1/2 mustard seedy and 1/2 dark green

Quoting emkirkley:

is it hard, dry, tearin him? if not, I agree with the doctor.  are you nursing or formula feeding?

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Why Baby Gets Upset During Bowel Movements

The world is very new to babies—including the sensation of pooping. Having a bowel movement may be surprising and upsetting to a baby. It doesn’t mean there’s really pain, but it does mean that your baby might get upset.

Keep in mind that it’s difficult to have a bowel movement while laying down. Your baby can’t sit and “push;” he must coordinate the abdominal muscles to squeeze while relaxing his anus. That’s not so easy for a little baby! In time, he'll learn to pass stool without putting on such a big show.

Don't worry if baby grunts and groans and makes all kinds of faces during a bowel movement; it is highly unlikely to signal a medical problem by itself. Babies all seem to get over it, and changes in formula (if bottle feeding) typically don't make a difference.

Tips for Concerned Parents

If your baby does react to bowel sensations more intensely, try massaging his belly or legs before or during the bowel movement. You might try placing a warm water bottle on his belly during the process, but be sure to check first that the temperature is not too hot for your baby.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/upset-when-pooping

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

As long as your child's poop is not hard, he is NOT constipated!!!

Your child's poop should be the consistency of peanut butter or softer. 

My daughter only pooped about once a week when she was really little.  Her poop was pudding consistency so she was just fine.  Nothing to worry about. (pediatrician agreed).  Not all babies poop every single day when they are really little. 

Your baby is fine! 

Loveavision
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I didn't think he was constipated, I already knew he wasn't. He is, however, definitely "backed up". I can tell he's in mild pain and definitely uncomfortable. He's got a hard, bloated belly and my typically quiet, sweet baby is screaming bloody murder, so... There is something wrong, like I said.

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

My daughter only pooped about once a week when she was really little.  Her poop was pudding consistency so she was just fine.  Nothing to worry about. (pediatrician agreed).  Not all babies poop every single day when they are really little. 

Your baby is fine! 

ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Well yes, formula is hard to digest, ad bang has an immature digestive system. But there is nothing you should be doing. He can not have anything else to 'eat' or drink, even water.

Quoting Loveavision:

I didn't think he was constipated, I already knew he wasn't. He is, however, definitely "backed up". I can tell he's in mild pain and definitely uncomfortable. He's got a hard, bloated belly and my typically quiet, sweet baby is screaming bloody murder, so... There is something wrong, like I said.

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

Your baby is fine! 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Formula is hard on their tummy. My second was totally fine on breastmilk, but I got mastitis and couldn't continue pumping. He was miserable on formula (regular, sensitive, soy) then at a year old he started cows milk and he was fine.

Some babies just don't do well on formula no matter what.

Quoting Loveavision:

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

Your baby is fine! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SteffM0501:

My four-week-old has the same problem. Aubrey had regular bowel movements the first two weeks we were home and then BAM tummy troubles galore. She practically shrieks whenever she has gas or needs to poop. Her doctor assures us that she is fine but it doesn't make me feel any better, especially when it's 2 AM and Aubrey' s screaming in pain. It kills me to hear that "pain" cry. We've tried modifying my diet (we're breastfeeding), gas drops, bicycling her legs, bouncing, warm compresses on her tummy...etc. so far nothing has really helped, it may just be something she has to grow out of. 

- Steff

Have you looked at a possible overactive letdown?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM

he still doesn't need you to do anything other than rub his tummy, burp better at feedings to keep there from being so much gas to pass, and possibly gas drops with feedings.  It's normal and it's part of him and his body learning how to work.

Quoting Loveavision:

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

Your baby is fine! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)