Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

5 week old has bowel problems. Advice?

Posted by   + Show Post
Carter seems to get pretty backed up at least once or twice a week. He typically only has one big poop a day anyway, and I can tell he's extremely uncomfortable when he doesn't go. I've had him to the pedi literally 4 times already trying to get advice, but they aren't concerned. It's one of those "well, I know my baby better and the doctor is wrong" things.

I've tried gripe water, and taking his temp rectally to loosen him up, nothing is working this time. I haven't used suppositories though /:
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (21-29):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Formula can be hard on their bellies. He may need a different kind. I don't have much experienc with formula. Only one of my 4 children got foruma and she was 7 months old the first time

KRIZZ25
motherhood is not a race..u can't outdo one another..u go go ur own speed.
Yesterday at 2:56 AM
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
formula can make that happen..try soy .if he is bf watch what u eat .
amberlyp
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM
My daughter has the same issue. She's 11 months now and has been dealing with constipation since birth. We have to give her suppositories and we've done so since about 4 months. Once a week she gets one. You should try kefir. It comes in a big jug and you can get it strawberry flavored or whatever. Just put a cap full in his bottle or in a syringe if you're bfing. It really works! The only downside to that is it only worked for about three weeks and now we are back to square one. Maybe you'll have better luck with it though
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

What kind of formula is your little one on?  You may want to switch to something like Enfamil Gentlease (or the equivilant in another brand) that has partially broken down protiens in it so it is easier to digest.  The bloated tummy sounds like gas to me. 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It's because of the formula.  It is very hard on a baby's tummy.  Hard to digest, hard to get used to, just hard all around.  As long as his poop continue to be normal, there isn't anything else you can do.  He can't have anything else.  His body just has to get used to digesting something artificial. 

jamiebell
by on May. 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Change formula. I agree dont give him anything else. We had to switch to carnation good start for my ds1 cuz he got so constipated. Our pedi says as long as they have a bowl movement once a day and sometimes can go 2days w/o that is ok. It is awful seeing them struggle but their digestive tracks are so immature. Good luck mama!
twogirl91
by on May. 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Completely normal, when my youngest son would go a day or two without pooping he would get very gassy and fussy. I gave him gripe water, gas drops, rubbed his tummy, anything that helped him. Don't give your baby anything other than formula or breastmilk. 

Loveavision
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Thank you very much (: it does just suck seeing him in so much pain
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Are you able to pump, or get him on the breast?

Quoting Loveavision:

Thank you very much (: it does just suck seeing him in so much pain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)