Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Please tell me this is normal

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 29 Replies

Anyone else have an 18 month old who won't stay out of the garbage can? We have baby gates and I can block the kitchen, but some times he likes to be in there with me while I cook or do the dishes and I'm ok with that, I'm not ok with him taking things out of the garbage or putting things in it that don't belong there. One day, he took a pancake out of the garbage and ATE it! I know he doesn't know any better, but it's very frustrating. We bought a new garbage can yesterday with a lid that locks, but it's just a push button lid like his box of wipes and he knows how to open that, so we'll see if it deters him at all.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jhslove
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Hahaha! Yes, it sounds normal. Gross, but normal.

Does he know the word "no"? If not, he's not too young to learn. He may not know any better now, but you can teach him.

bad_mama2011
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM

He's just learning the word no, but I'm not sure he gets the concept because he also likes to push the buttons on the computer keyboard and he will look at you as he's reaching his hand towards it, shaking his head no, and saying, "no, no, no," and proceed to push buttons. It's cute, so it's hard to be mad at him. :-) The garbage thing isn't cute.

Quoting jhslove:

Hahaha! Yes, it sounds normal. Gross, but normal.

Does he know the word "no"? If not, he's not too young to learn. He may not know any better now, but you can teach him.

angela.bouchard
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Very normal. You'll just have to keep an eye on him and constantly remind him not to take things out. I don't even remember how long it took my son before he stopped doing that but I remember that phase well! Try to be consistent and eventually he will learn.

jessicaaris
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

My son used to do that when he was a baby, probably around 18 months. We got a trash can with the lid that you closed and that seemed to help a lot. He wasn't big enough to open the lid and get in there and lost interest.

CelestialSong
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Mine did that too. I just had to grow eyes in the back of my head, and redirect her every time she went for the garbage. She's almost 2 and I still have to remind her sometimes, but she's good about stopping when I do.

lauratupper
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

normal. I taught my ds about the trash can by letting him throw away tissues. When he would use a tissue I would tell him "now we put it in the trash", and I would take him over to it and let him put it in the trash. For my ds allowing him to throw something away like that stopped him from taking anything out or throwing things in it that didn't belong.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Yep, that's normal. DD loves to try and sneak into it. I never let her get beyond touching the lid though, so she's never eaten anything, but she is very curious and wants to figure out what treasures are in there!

bad_mama2011
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I've tried that, it only worked like twice, he threw away something like a tissue, but he still doesn't know he can't throw certain things away. Like the can in his room, he puts unused diapers in it! It drives me crazy, I have to check the bag before I throw it out to make sure it only has garbage in it! Now I know why people have diaper genies. -_-

Quoting lauratupper:

normal. I taught my ds about the trash can by letting him throw away tissues. When he would use a tissue I would tell him "now we put it in the trash", and I would take him over to it and let him put it in the trash. For my ds allowing him to throw something away like that stopped him from taking anything out or throwing things in it that didn't belong.

Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
This is what we do.

Quoting lauratupper:

Heymamashakeit
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM
We had to buy the special cabinet for the garbage and put a safety lock on the cabinet. And yes babies in the trash is normal. Gross, but normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN