Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: The Pacifier Some moms act like its cuss word What...

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 86 Replies

The Pacifier! Some moms act like its cuss word. What are your opinions on giving your baby the pacifier?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies have a biological need to suck. None of my children would ever take one though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARIAandME
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM

My best friends mom is totally agaisnt the pacifier and refuses to let her daughter give it to her son because she says you should be able to quiet your child by yourself, not with a pacifier. 

Emadele
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I've offered it. Neither of my boys did much more than chew on it.
The reason people don't like them is because they're all around bad news if baby becomes too attached. They change the way baby sucks, making it detrimental to nursing. It effects the way the mouth and jaw form, leading to dental problems down the road. And it can be very hard to break from.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM
It depends on if you're bottle feeding or Breastfeeding.
With my first 2, they had one for 17 and 19 months each. With my third, she had one for about 4 months then found her thumb. My older kids had so many ear infections because of them and my middle child had to have tubes because of so many ear infections. My baby hasn't had an ear infection yet and she will be 2 next month.
lovehimforever
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM
my first wouldn't take one and my second did. he weaned himself off before 1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARIAandME
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I personally use it religiously. The nurse in the hospital gave it to her and she was hooked. I got good advice for breaking it though I hope it works for her when she gets older so that she won't get those effects. You teach your baby about how when things are broken you throw them away, then cut a small whole in the pacifier and it will of course feel different to the child, like its "broken". Then have them throw it away. What do you think, would it work? 

larissalarie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Her mother can only control her parenting if she allows her to.

Quoting ARIAandME:

My best friends mom is totally agaisnt the pacifier and refuses to let her daughter give it to her son because she says you should be able to quiet your child by yourself, not with a pacifier. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARIAandME
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Well she lives in her house, so everytime she has him take it her mom yells at her and takes it out.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting ARIAandME:

TattedReader
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM
mine never took one. I tried a couple times but they didn't want anything to do with it, just wanted boobies lol
larissalarie
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Well it's still important to establish her authority as the mother and stand up for herself.

Quoting ARIAandME:

Well she lives in her house, so everytime she has him take it her mom yells at her and takes it out.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting ARIAandME:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)