Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vix on newborns feet?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

My DD has been struggling with bad congestion for a while now. She will be a month old on June 2nd. She was a preemie though born at 36 weeks. She probably weighs a little over 5 lb now.

My mom was telling me to put vix on her feet and then cover them with socks. Is that safe to do?? I'm nervous because of how tiny she is. But her congestion is affecting her sleep and she struggles to nurse too =[ I'm desperate for a fix.

Saline drops don't help, and we've had a humidifier running and it isn't helping either. Oh and we've brought her into the steamy bathroom before too. Nothing.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jhslove
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

This does work very well for our daughter, but we didn't do it when she was a newborn. The first time she got a bad cold was when she was about 13 months old, I think. Check with your pediatrician to see if it's safe for newborns, maybe?

I have heard that if you're nursing, a little breastmilk in the nose works really well for clearing congestion.

Lillysmommy0113
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

sounds like she has a cow milk allergy. have you cut that out of your deit?

i dont know about putting it on her feet ive never had that problem. sorry but heres a bump.

squeakers2
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I don't know about vicks at that age, but my son got a cold around the same age and my dr said to saline drop then bulb syringe 2-3 times a day, making sure to hold the other nostril closed. Yes, it upsets them, but it helps. Also, a very very small amount of room temp water, not even enough to fill a bottle nipple, to drink (I used a medicine syringe) to clear the throat. Anything that affects their feedings at this age, you should probably call the dr though. Just to be safe.

Someone can quote me if I'm wrong. I won't get offended. This is just what my ped told me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
No. I would never do that. Just vicks is OK, but don't ever cover menthol. It can cause chemical burns.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Breastmilk up the nose. Sit in the bathroom with the shower running hot, the steam should help. Then suction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You have to be VERY careful with Vicks. Most of them contain eucalyptus oil, which can be deadly for little babies. It can cause brain bleeds and comas :(

Have you tried breast milk in her nose?

ceckyl
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Wow I did not know that! I knew not to use it, just didn't know that was why!

Quoting Randi02:

You have to be VERY careful with Vicks. Most of them contain eucalyptus oil, which can be deadly for little babies. It can cause brain bleeds and comas :(

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Eucalyptus Smithii can be used on babies older than 2 months, but it's more expensive so brands like Vicks use Globulus. I make shower pucks using Smithii for my kiddos.

Quoting ceckyl:

Wow I did not know that! I knew not to use it, just didn't know that was why!

Quoting Randi02:

TCain0001
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I'm not sure about on a baby that little--check with your ped first, but I don't think it would hurt, as long as the socks stay on and she doesn't try to eat her feet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)