Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: my baby drools alot is time for him to start...

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
my baby drools alot..is time for him to start teething? He's 4 months. Also how often get fed rice creal and formula a day now?
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
That was around time my baby was cutting his bottom 2 teeth
abra
by Abra on May. 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I don't usually use any foods besides breastmilk or formula at that age, so I'm not sure. For drooling, some babies drool for months before teeth erupt, so it could be soon or it could be a while. :-) 

theosgirl45
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Both my kids started the drooling and chewing at around 4 months.  DD got her teeth after her first bday and DS got his first the day he turned 6 months.  So it could happen soon or it could happen months from now.  But the drooling is completely normal.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Drooling doesn't necessarily mean teeth.  It's a defense mechanism.  Babies drool so that anything in their mouth comes out.  It prevents choking.  And he's too young for any kind of solids.  No solids until 6 months.  And cereal is crap.  Infants can't digest it, which is why it causes so many issues with so many babies.

bestmom225
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

well my daughter never drooled or whined when she got teeth she chewed her fingers alot and i thing its time for your baby to starth cutting teeth my lil cousin is 5months with 4 teeth so you never know

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

This.

All of my kids drooled. My older 3 didn't get teeth until 11.5-14 months. My youngest is only 4 months old but she drools too. I love the Juicy Couture bibs. They are cute and super absorbent.

No idea about formula, I breastfeed - but babies should not be getting solids before at least 6 months.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Drooling doesn't necessarily mean teeth.  It's a defense mechanism.  Babies drool so that anything in their mouth comes out.  It prevents choking.  And he's too young for any kind of solids.  No solids until 6 months.  And cereal is crap.  Infants can't digest it, which is why it causes so many issues with so many babies.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I don't know how much formula a day, it's been a few years since my first was that little. But rice cereal for a baby that young is a bad idea. Solids start at six months and rice is known to cause constipation and digestive issues. That's why you're supposed to eat it when you're having diarrhea. It stops you up. I would just wait until baby gets older and can eat real food. Purees aren't necessary and cause choking hazards and don't teach baby how to eat. I waited until a little after six months when ds could sit up in his chair and pick food up and put it in his mouth. So far he's a much better eater than my super picky three year old who got cereals and purees. Most people also recommend waiting until a year or close to it for cereals because of the enzyme they need of digest it. Solids before one aren't a big part of their nutrition because it causes them to take in less milk which is much higher in nutritional value.
Drooling is a side effect of teething, but its also something that some babies just do. It could mean baby's about to start sprouting teeth, but it might not. My oldest drooled all the time but ds only drools a lot when he's teething.
Teething and food are not related. Babies don't need teeth to eat and they don't need to eat just because they have teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Natasha on May. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Per our pedi, we offered DS cereal around 4 months so we could slowly introduce it since there were concerns for food allergies. He wasn't ready for it and thrust the spoon away. He didn't start taking solids until he was 6 months.

cupcake2819
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My DS is almost 5 months old.  He's been drooling a lot since about 3 months old.  No teeth yet.  I just started giving him a mixture of 1 TBSP rice cereal with 2 TBSP breastmilk in the evenings.  He eats it by spoon and seems to like it.  He makes very little mess.  It doesn't bother him digestively either. 

expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
They can teethe for months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)