Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pulling her hair out

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

How do I help my 4.5 month old to stop pulling her hair out. She's been really into textures and figured out she has hair she can feel but doesn't know to let go. Now she's getting 2 bald spots on the sides of her head. Any ideas?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Not a clue other than put a hat on her?
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Natasha on May. 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Help her open her hand when you see her do it.  Offer her other things to touch and feel that won't cause her to hurt herself.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM
It'll grow back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRE-P55
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

That's would make things easy but she hates hats. She goes nuts and screams until you take it off. :(

Quoting larissalarie:

Not a clue other than put a hat on her?
Bump!

JRE-P55
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Yea we try and do that when we catch it and all day we keep her occupied, it mostly happens right before she is taking a nap or going to sleep when she doesn't have anything else she can play with because we obviously won't allow toys in the crib for safety.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Help her open her hand when you see her do it.  Offer her other things to touch and feel that won't cause her to hurt herself.

iansmommy9
by Natasha on May. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I remember DS self-soothing himself by rubbing his head around that age. He would yell when he started hurting himself. If you let her have a blanky, maybe give her something plush or soft.

Quoting JRE-P55:

Yea we try and do that when we catch it and all day we keep her occupied, it mostly happens right before she is taking a nap or going to sleep when she doesn't have anything else she can play with because we obviously won't allow toys in the crib for safety.

Quoting iansmommy9:

cnlvigil
by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Mittens or maybe putting socks on her hands...? My lo has been pulling on my hair but can't seem to get a good grip when he's got his mittens or socks on his hands...I put them on bc he keeps scratching his face
expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
To_the_moon
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Ummmm.... No I'm sorry, wish I did. Did she suffer some sort of loss? When my grandfather died my baby brother pulled out his hair to the point that he had no hair, my parents ended up getting him counseling. I hope that's not what it is with your dd but that's the experience with little ones pulling out their hair.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
jessicaaris
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My kids did that too and would make themselves cry because they didn't realize THEY will hurting themselves. It is just a phase. Maybe make sure she has things to play with? Or just try to correct it when you see her doing it. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)