Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doctor question. difference between pedi and family med

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

i probably should know this bc i work in the healthcare field, but i do geriatrics so i'd prefer a little insight into the kiddo world.

what's the difference between pediatrics and family medicine? obv i know pedis is just specializing in pedis, but at what age do you not qualify as a pedi anymore? how much training do family med docs have in pediatrics?

im not happy with my current pedi so i'm looking to switch offices/docs, there are many many options within the network i'd like to stay in, im just not sure if i should go with a pedi or a family medicine doc.

thanks for imput!

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lauratupper
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Really the only difference is that a pediatrician only sees children. Some pediatricians are more knowledgeable about childhood diseases, but in general there isn't much difference. If your baby is healthy and doesn't need any special child care then a family medicine doctor would be just fine.

angela.bouchard
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

bump

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Family doctors tend to be more open about discussing alternative vax schedules, etc... Also, if you can find a DO instead of an MD, they focus on the whole body and how everything interacts to cause problems, vs just treating the immediate problem.
tyrelsmom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM
If you see a family doc and your child has a major problem, they'll refer you to a pediatrician.

But my general experience with pediatricians has been terrible. I don't know if its just the ones I've dealt with, but they appear to be especially prone to developing god complexes. On top of it, the majority of the ones I've dealt with were morons (recommending putting a 5 month old forward facing in the car, insisting that I wean to cow's milk at 9 months....)
LOVEZOEY
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM

That's awful! I love our pedi. She's awesome and doesn't act like I'm an idiot when I come in for stupid things

Quoting tyrelsmom:

If you see a family doc and your child has a major problem, they'll refer you to a pediatrician.

But my general experience with pediatricians has been terrible. I don't know if its just the ones I've dealt with, but they appear to be especially prone to developing god complexes. On top of it, the majority of the ones I've dealt with were morons (recommending putting a 5 month old forward facing in the car, insisting that I wean to cow's milk at 9 months....)

LillyJDv3.0
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Family doctors tend to be more open about discussing alternative vax schedules, etc... Also, if you can find a DO instead of an MD, they focus on the whole body and how everything interacts to cause problems, vs just treating the immediate problem.

This. My son and I both see a DO and he's great. So much better with my son than the pediatricians he saw on base.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)