Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To go back to work or not?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

I want to go back to work sooo bad i miss making money , but my 6mos old cries alot hes very grumpy and doesnt even like for his grandparents to hold him , so im thinking i should force myself to wait a bit longer, am i just being foolish by thinking nobody else could handle him without going off the deep end???

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes babies/kids act differently when mom is nowhere around.

Before going back to work, make sure to take into consideration if you will actually be bringing any money home after daycare, taxes, etc.
jennj76569
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Sometimes babies/kids act differently when mom is nowhere around.

Before going back to work, make sure to take into consideration if you will actually be bringing any money home after daycare, taxes, etc.

great point thanks...

jessicaaris
by Jessica on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids act a lot differently with their parents than they do with other people. I am sure who ever will be watching him with be just fine. But it is a decision you will have to make. There are pros and cons to both. Good luck!

alandou
by April on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM

I think that if you want to work, then great. Have you let the grandparents take care of your son without you around? If not, then I would try that a few times before you make a big decision. As the previous poster said, it's important to think about if having a job will really benefit you. If the grandparents are going to watch your son, will you be paying them? And if you decide to leave your son and he fusses alot while there, are you going to send him to a different sitter? I think if you can leave your son with his grandparents and you wont have to pay anything, then that's awesome. My sister leaves her daughter with my grandma and my mom while she's at work and so she doesn't have to pay for daycare. The only thing is, that my sister really doesn't have the "motherly instinct" and so she sends her daughter to my mom's house without the right things she needs. For example, she doesn't think about the day's weather and what it will be like. If she needs a jacket, more times than not, she'll forget to pack one. Or even an extra pair of clothes. It's just really irritating to my mom that my sister can't even provide the basics for her daughter when she's sent somewhere else. I'm not sure of your situation, but I was going to say maybe to try working out something with your dh/so to work opposite shifts. I've been a SAHM for 4 years and money is getting really tight, so I found a part time job and will be working in the evenings while my dh will be at home watching our dd. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that will work for you :)

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this

it's a hard choice to make. some moms aren't so lucky to be able to make a choice and have to go back to work. Like some of the other moms have said, baby does act differently when mom isn't around. You'd be surprised to see what happens with baby after you have been gone for about 10 min.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Babies act differently around other people. You might be surprised how easily it is for them. Like others said make sure you'll be bringing home money with child care and taxes,. I'm guessing you aren't on maternity leave and returning to a job since he is 6 months old. I went back to college when my son turned 1 and have always taken at least 1-2 classes on campus (the rest online) and it actually benefited me and my son to have that seperate time. He is almost 3 and never throws fits when I walk out the door. If I tell him I'm going somewhere he just says "okay bye mom!" 

jennj76569
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quoting alandou:

I think that if you want to work, then great. Have you let the grandparents take care of your son without you around? If not, then I would try that a few times before you make a big decision. As the previous poster said, it's important to think about if having a job will really benefit you. If the grandparents are going to watch your son, will you be paying them? And if you decide to leave your son and he fusses alot while there, are you going to send him to a different sitter? I think if you can leave your son with his grandparents and you wont have to pay anything, then that's awesome. My sister leaves her daughter with my grandma and my mom while she's at work and so she doesn't have to pay for daycare. The only thing is, that my sister really doesn't have the "motherly instinct" and so she sends her daughter to my mom's house without the right things she needs. For example, she doesn't think about the day's weather and what it will be like. If she needs a jacket, more times than not, she'll forget to pack one. Or even an extra pair of clothes. It's just really irritating to my mom that my sister can't even provide the basics for her daughter when she's sent somewhere else. I'm not sure of your situation, but I was going to say maybe to try working out something with your dh/so to work opposite shifts. I've been a SAHM for 4 years and money is getting really tight, so I found a part time job and will be working in the evenings while my dh will be at home watching our dd. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that will work for you :)

My mom says she doesnt want any money but i know it would help her out so i plan on giving some depending on how many hours i get, and you are lucky if i got my old job back itd be days but part time and my hubby works days too... SOOOOOO DARN IT.

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

When my DS was 6mo, I started waitressing a couple nights a week when DH/gma would be able to watch him. I got to get out of the house a little, make a little extra money, and give DH a chance to take care of baby without me hovering. It was perfect for us.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I've always been a SAHM but I agree with all the information posted.

abra
by Abra on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I decided to stay home with my kids after I had my first (7 years ago). It is a sacrifice, but I have no regrets. 

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)