Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Breastfeeding HEEELPP!!!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 34 Replies
My daughter is 2 weeks old. When we first came home from the hospital it seemed she had set her own kind of schedule to be nursed: she would feed for up to 30-45 mins (or as little as 10) about 4 or 5 times then nap for 3 or 4 hrs, consistently. That lasted about a week. Now she is on me constantly. I know she is using me as a pacifier sometimes. But when I try to make her stop (like lactation consultant told me to) she screams. Lactation consultant said babies go through a growth spurt during the second week. So is this going to slow down? I'm new to this and its wearing me out so much that I'm almost in tears! Please help!
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coffeemom37043
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it will pass. I just let my DD use me as a paci. It calmed her and it helps build your supply. We are going through a 6 week growth spurt right now, so I know how you feel. Just hang in there. It'll get better!

mkhc-531
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Thank you! I sure hope it gets better! Last night I was just thinking- bottle feeding would be so much easier. But I don't want to give up on giving my baby what's best for her! Plus I feel bad because when we visit with family they want to see her and hold her but she just wants me. Either to eat or to just hold her. She even fusses when her dad holds her when he comes home from work! :(
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM
It is normal and like ^ said it will help your supply. If its too draining for you I suggest trying a paci. Also make sure you are eating and drinking enough cause nursing is tiring in itself and not enough food and drink in your system will only make it worse. I always tried to make sure I had a nice cold bottle of water or juice beside me while nursing. Hang in there mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

This will pass ... it sounds like it is a growth spurt. Babies tend to eat a lil more when they go thru one.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM

make sure you always have a glass of water on hand when nursing baby and maybe a small snack too.

mkhc-531
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I try giving her a paci but she will have nothing to do with it. I've only tried one so far (the one given at the hospital), since she is only 2 weeks. Maybe a different kind.

But I an getting burnt out- not eating or drinking enough. Which is another problem. We live with roommates who have cats. I'm allergic and I don't want my LO to be forced to be around all the dander and cat hair, yet I don't want to leave her alone in the room (upstairs). Plus since she is pretty much always feeding I hardly have time to go make anything :( Thank you for all the help and support, ladies!

Quoting expectantmom81:

It is normal and like ^ said it will help your supply. If its too draining for you I suggest trying a paci. Also make sure you are eating and drinking enough cause nursing is tiring in itself and not enough food and drink in your system will only make it worse. I always tried to make sure I had a nice cold bottle of water or juice beside me while nursing. Hang in there mama

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Yes it will get better but expect frequent growth spurts until 6 weeks. Things are usually hardest the first 6 weeks and it gets easier over time. Comfort nursing is really important in these early weeks. It helps supply a lot. It's normal to feel like all you do is nurse right now and really that's what it should be like:-) I found that nursing gave me a great excuse to slow down and relax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Normal! It will pass soon. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

It will pass, it's probably just a growth spurt. As long as she's going through enough diapers everything's fine. I gave mine a pacifier :)

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Yep it will slow down. You will notice her doing this every few weeks for the first couple months and then it slows wayyyy down! When people say they feel like they do nothing but nurse the first few months this is what they are talking about. But once you are through that stage bfing becomes the lazy easy method lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)